'Is that helpful?' Chris Wallace confronts John Cornyn over tweet suggesting Biden not in charge
Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) on Sunday insisted that he did not mean to disrespect President Joe Biden when he suggested that someone else is in charge of the federal government.
Fox News host Chris Wallace asked Cornyn about the tweet during an interview on Fox News Sunday.
"My question," Wallace asked, "is that helpful to be sending out a tweet questioning President Biden's mental faculties?"
"Well, Chris, thank you for the question," Cornyn replied. "Because I think there's been a lot of confusion in the Twitterverse about that. That actually was a quote from a Politico story that I pasted into a tweet and then I simply asked a question."'
"What I'm trying to do is reconcile the Joe Biden we heard from on Jan. 20th, the Joe Biden that many of us know from his previous service in the United States Senate from the Joe Biden we're seeing now jamming through $1.9 trillion of spending bills," the Texas Republican added. "I've learned in Washington, you not only need to listen to what people say, you need to watch what they do. And so far, there's a conflict I'm trying to reconcile and I bet I'm not the only one."
Wallace pressed: "Do you have questions as to whether or not Joe Biden is really in charge and whether, frankly, he's up to the job?"
"That tweet was not meant to suggest anything about the president's competency -- physical or mental," Cornyn insisted. "I know some people have suggested that and that certainly wasn't my intention. I simply tried to reconcile the rhetoric with the reality. And we need the reality to match the rhetoric and it's not matching right now."
Watch the video below from Fox News.
Chris Wallace corners John Cornyn for suggesting Kamala Harris in charge www.youtube.com
- Trump rages against Fox News over polls that show him losing to ... ›
- Fox News host creates shockwaves after lavishly praising a Biden ... ›
- Here's the gift GOP Sen. John Cornyn inadvertently gave to Biden ... ›
- 'It's a big lie': Chris Wallace challenges GOPer for refusing to say election wasn't 'stolen' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Gloating about voter supression': Sen. Cornyn promotes WaPo story about GOP plan to seize power via gerrymandering - Alternet.org ›