Trump aide with top secret clearance beat officers with riot shield at Jan. 6 Insurrection: report
A Trump-appointed State Dept. aide allegedly beat officers at the U.S. Capitol with a stolen riot shield, used it to force open a Capitol Hill door, verbally engaged with police, and led insurrection rioters into the building, shouting, "We need fresh people, need fresh people."
These new details come from The Washington Post, after Politico Thursday night broke the news that the State Dept. aide, Federico Klein, appointed by Trump in 2017 after working on the Trump campaign, was arrested by the FBI in connection with the deadly January 6 insurrection.
The New York Times adds Klein was arrested on charges "including unlawful entry, violent and disorderly conduct, obstructing Congress and law enforcement, and assaulting an officer with a dangerous weapon."
Klein was "seen in video footage and other images dressed in a red 'Make America Great Again' hat, slacks and a dress shirt as he tries to break past a line of Metropolitan Police officers in a tunnel near the west terrace, according to the [court] document."
Klein, 42, previously worked as a researcher for the anti-LGBTQ hate group Family Research Council, according to Politico. That group's president, a close informal religious advisor to President Donald Trump, was appointed to the the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom by then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. He served as chairman and later vice chair.
"Klein was still employed at the State Department as a staff assistant on Jan. 6 when he joined a mob in a tunnel leading into the U.S. Capitol, the FBI said," The Washington Post reports. "Then he allegedly 'physically and verbally engaged with the officers holding the line' at the building's entrance, according to the complaint. After ignoring officers' orders to move back, he assaulted officers with a riot shield that had been stolen from police, the complaint said, and then used the shield to wedge open a door into the Capitol."
Klein resigned from the U.S. State Dept. on January 19.
- GOP Sen. Sasse says Trump was 'delighted' about the Capitol riot ... ›
- This is Trump's most damning tweet about the Capitol riots: Ex-GOP ... ›
- 'Pandora's Box': Ex-Melania aide hints at 'enormous trove of ... ›
- Judge says Trump appointee charged in insurrection swore an oath to the Constitution — then 'switched sides' - Alternet.org ›
- How America's moral rot laid the groundwork for the Jan. 6 insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- January 6 Commission may not happen due to House Republicans: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Sick and disgusting': Republican skewers Trump after he claims MAGA rioters were 'zero threat' to Congress - Alternet.org ›
- State Department ends anti-LGBTQ policy that targeted same-sex parents - Alternet.org ›
- How Trump railed against 'insurrection' — while encouraging Oath Keepers insurrectionists: conservative - Alternet.org ›