Mitch McConnell tantrum vows 'scorched-earth' if Dems bypass filibuster to expand voting rights
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) suggested that the Republican Party would adopt a "scorched-earth" policy if Democrats bypass the filibuster to pass voting rights legislation.
McConnell's remarks came after Stacey Abrams, an influential Georgia Democrat, came out in favor of a filibuster exception for voting rights measures.
"Some Democrats believe this would be a tidy tradeoff if they could just break the rules on a razor-thin majority," McConnell complained. "That's not what would happen. So let me say this very clearly for all 99 of my colleagues. Nobody serving in this chamber can even begin to imagine what a completely scorched-earth Senate would look like."
"Everything Senate Democrats did to Bush and Trump, everything the Republican Senate did to President Obama would be child's play compared to the disaster the Democrats would create for their own priorities if they break the Senate," he continued. "Even the most basic aspects of our colleagues' agenda, the most mundane tasks of the Biden presidency would actually be harder -- not easier -- for Democrats in a post-nuclear Senate."
McConnell promised to "use every other rule to make tens of millions of Americans' voices heard."
The minority leader also threatened to get revenge on Democrats if Republicans take back the Senate.
"As soon as Republicans wound up back in the saddle, we wouldn't just erase every liberal change that hurt the country, we'd strengthen America with all kinds of conservative policies with zero input from the other side," he insisted. "How about this? Nationwide right to work for working Americans. Defunding Planned Parenthood and sanctuary cities on day one. A whole new era of domestic energy production. Sweeping new protections for conscience and the right to life of the unborn. Concealed carry reciprocity in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Massive hardening of security on the southern border."
Watch the video below from C-SPAN.
FILIBUSTER: Sen. Mitch McConnell slams Democratic attempts to end the filibuster: https://t.co/Xzxjnao7IN https://t.co/luwkZSkm2O— Forbes (@Forbes) 1615915132.0
- Busted? Why the numbers behind Mitch McConnell's re-election don ... ›
- 'What's going on?' Mitch McConnell refuses to explain to voters why ... ›
- John Oliver slams Republicans with hilarious take-down of Mitch ... ›
- Mitch McConnell's tirade shows that he's really getting scared - Alternet.org ›
- Think Democrats would pay a political price for ending the filibuster? Think again - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell's filibuster threats are already backfiring as Biden signals support for major Senate reform - Alternet.org ›
- Trump says McConnell is 'hanging by a thread' — and warns of potential catastrophe for the GOP - Alternet.org ›