Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signs law decried as 'a massive and unabashed assault on voting rights'
Despite three recounts and virtually no voter fraud Republican Governor Brian Kemp has just signed into law a massive, 95-page voter suppression bill. As Secretary of State Kemp manipulated the voter rolls ensuring his win in the gubernatorial race against Democrat Stacey Abrams.
The Atlanta Journal Constition reports Gov. Kemp "quickly signed a vast rewrite of Georgia's election rules into law Thursday, imposing voter ID requirements, limiting drop boxes and allowing state takeovers of local elections after last year's close presidential race."
The Georgia House passed the sweeping legislation around 2 PM Thursday in a 100-75 vote. At 5:23 PM the Senate passed the bill. Barely one hour later Kemp signed it into law.
The voter suppression law "includes new restrictions on voting by mail and gives the legislature greater control over how elections are run," the AP reports.
"We are witnessing right now a massive and unabashed assault on voting rights unlike anything we've seen since the Jim Crow era," Democratic state Senate Minority Leader Gloria Butler said, adding the new law is filled with "voter suppression tactics."
The law targets minority communities the most, making it harder for people of color to vote.
"It's like the Christmas tree of goodies for voter suppression," Democratic state Sen. Jen Jordan said Thursday, CNN had reported.
Voting rights expert Ari Berman says Kemp's new law allows "GOP takeover of state/county election boards, unlimited challenges to voter eligibility, restricting drop boxes & making it crime to give voters food & water in line."
"It will be challenged in court," he promises.
Brian Kemp has signed Georgia GOP voter suppression bill #sb202 2 weeks ago I asked @staceyabrams what she'd say t… https://t.co/wiI5PAMpKn— Ari Berman (@Ari Berman)1616712090.0
- Georgia Republicans push a draconian bill to criminalize giving food ... ›
- Here's how the midterms lay out the path for a New Reconstruction ›
- Why Virginia and Georgia are taking opposite courses on voting rights ›
- ‘Jim Crow 2.0’: Georgia Dem lays out the hardships the state’s 'cruel' and draconian new voter suppression law will cause - Alternet.org ›
- Kemp used 'monument to Georgia’s history of white supremacy' as backdrop to sign voter suppression law: columnist - Alternet.org ›
- Georgia's 'Jim Crow' voting bill will blow up in Republicans' faces: analysis - Alternet.org ›
- New signs in Georgia expose our ongoing democratic decay - Alternet.org ›
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp admits on tape: 'Voter suppression bill' has 'nothing to do with potential fraud' - Alternet.org ›
- Business experts explain why Georgia’s voter suppression law is a problem all over the US - Alternet.org ›
- Gov. Brian Kemp sounds off on Biden's call to move MLB All-Star game over voting laws — and the Internet fires back - Alternet.org ›