Texas Republicans mocked after begging Biden for help: 'Didn't they want to secede?'
A massive winter storm system hit Texas and Oklahoma this weekend, leading to serious traffic accidents and power outages. In response, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) begged President Joe Biden's administration for help for his state.
This prompted questions from those who wondered why Texas officials turned to the federal government and the existing president when they were attacking him in weeks previously.
Didn’t Texas want to be it’s own country a few days ago? https://t.co/yGSgNBVcs9— Trudy G Oliver, PhD (@Trudy G Oliver, PhD) 1613270134.0
Biden granted the request for help without attacking the governor or mocking the governor for asking for help.
@RexChapman @TGOliver2 @markos Maybe we can barter...Texas shows us verifiable proof that it has jettisoned Ted Cru… https://t.co/3iUYAhzSBy— 🇺🇸Izzy the Dog🇺🇸 (@🇺🇸Izzy the Dog🇺🇸) 1613344022.0
Texas Gov Abbott asked Biden for federal assistance on Saturday. On Sunday, Biden authorized the federal emergency… https://t.co/k2G1o3lqZ3— edgery #WearYourDamnMask (@edgery #WearYourDamnMask) 1613349537.0
Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn (Rs-TX) also asked for help, drawing ridicule from those in New England who recalled Cruz voting down funding for states after Hurricane Sandy.
@tedcruz If President Biden acted like the guy you just gave a pass for inciting an insurrection, he would say Texa… https://t.co/5co0h8hltd— Ken Hobbs (@Ken Hobbs) 1613349434.0
See the other comments below:
@agresr @tedcruz I went and worked Sandy out on Breezy Point. The place was fucking leveled. Powerlines, piers, san… https://t.co/gFgRueMzQE— CoLab76 (@CoLab76) 1613348287.0
@tedcruz There still might be some extra https://t.co/3Yqs7XgdHz— Stanbury Barth (@Stanbury Barth) 1613348848.0
@tedcruz Are you certain your knees can handle this round of begging?— AltAlexanderHamilton (@AltAlexanderHamilton) 1613347869.0
@tedcruz You guys come crying for money when disaster strikes. But don’t want to pay for it in taxes.— Adriana RM (@Adriana RM) 1613347887.0
@GregAbbott_TX A Republic of Texas doesn't need the USA, doesn't need Massachusetts tax dollars to come to your FE… https://t.co/SG42GPu3nr— Patty Kimura (@Patty Kimura) 1613340346.0
This is when Texas secessionists shut up and stop bleating for FREEEEDOM from evil Fed government intervention. Th… https://t.co/Q33G7hsmNy— Karen J (@Karen J) 1613328770.0
Meanwhile, all the Texas secessionist will be eagerly awaiting thier FEMA handout help after the storm https://t.co/v9dXrlQQw8— matt (@matt) 1613328433.0
A little over 2 weeks ago Texas legislators filed a bill to secede from the Union. Now they want FEMA and it’s fed… https://t.co/0PY0edW8Tn— Gregg Favre (@Gregg Favre) 1613280165.0
@txbeergoddess @statesman Oh excuse me if the day after the republicans refused to hold Trump accountable for an in… https://t.co/OvJT4DUxUm— hererightmatters (@hererightmatters) 1613343038.0
- Texas Republicans want to secede over Trump's loss — but they're ... ›
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott faces criticism from local leaders and fellow ... ›
- Here's why the latest Texas polls are so ominous for Republicans ... ›
- Here's how Biden plans to leave the Trump era in the past — once and for all - Alternet.org ›
- Calls for Texas governor to resign as he blames power outages on wind and solar: 'He's lying, people are dying' - Alternet.org ›
- Head of Texas power agency has no idea when millions will get electricity back: 'Just depends' - Alternet.org ›
- John Oliver destroys Texas Republicans from Ted Cruz, Fox News and Rick Perry in an epic takedown - Alternet.org ›
- 'That's not how it works': Oklahoma House passes GOP bill that would let state legislature defy federal laws - Alternet.org ›
- Americans slam Texas governor after he orders full reopening state at critical point in COVID pandemic - Alternet.org ›