Ron DeSantis blows off coronavirus mutations in Florida: 'This strain is in blue states'
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Sunday dismissed the growing number of COVID-19 cases in his state that have been attributed to a highly-infectious new mutation.
Fox News host Maria Bartiromo asked the governor about prominence of new COVID-19 strains in Florida.
"Nearly 350 cases of the dangerous COVID variant have been reported in Florida," Bartiromo pointed out. "Is there a reason for concern here?"
"So first off, we obviously look at all the data that comes in," DeSantis replied. "But this strain is in blue states and they don't talk about doing anything with blue states."
The governor attributed the rising number of cases to "a lot of analysis" in his state.
"So we find more than probably some other states do," he admitted. "It would be very odd to do a draconian travel restriction, which had no basis in the Constitution, at a time when all of these indicators are going down."
Florida's Department of Health has reportedly refused to share data about the number of COVID variants found in the state.
Watch the video below from Fox News.
- Florida Gov. DeSantis just proposed a dangerous bill to imperil and ... ›
- Fort Lauderdale newspaper dubs Gov. Ron DeSantis 'Florida's mis ... ›
- Bombshell report outs Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for lying to people ... ›
- Ron DeSantis threatens to pull COVID vaccine from Florida communities accusing him of political favoritism - Alternet.org ›
- New report reveals Ron DeSantis is manipulating COVID-19 stats to push his agenda - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis slammed in Florida editorial for hiding COVID vaccine info as state reels - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis bragged about Florida's election — exposing his real reason for new voting changes - Alternet.org ›
- Wealthy Florida community got vaccines before anyone else — then the governor got a $250k donation - Alternet.org ›
- FBI urged to investigate vaccine favoritism under Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis - Alternet.org ›
- Florida told hospital to divert vaccines to wealthy community as appointments were canceled for general public - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis says he'll ban 'vaccine passports' in Florida - Alternet.org ›
- Experts warn failure to rapidly 'vaccinate the world' creates dangerous opening for COVID-19 mutations - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis complains about 'Orwellian' media companies after YouTube removed video saying kids don't need masks - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis personally had his ballot tossed once because of strict voting laws: report - Alternet.org ›
- Ron DeSantis faces backlash as pandemic rages in Florida - Alternet.org ›
- 'Fascist' Ron DeSantis burned to the ground by Florida reporter for his latest Trump-like move - Alternet.org ›