Rep. Jim Jordan mocked for 'monumentally dumb' attempt to defend Trump
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) found himself in the midst of a Twitter firestorm when he posed a mind-boggling question about the U.S. Capitol riots in former President Donald Trump's defense.
On Thursday, Jordan argued that Trump could not have been responsible for inciting the insurrection on the U.S. Capitol because it was pre-planned before Trump's "Save America" rally. He went on to highlight details about the disturbing evidence that suggests the riots were premeditated, HuffPost reports.
"How do you incite a riot that was already going to happen?"Jordan asked. "Pipe bombs were placed near the Capitol before President Trump's speech. -The FBI knew about potential violence before the speech. -Capitol Police requested help from the National Guard days before the speech."
How do you incite a riot that was already going to happen? -Pipe bombs were placed near the Capitol before Presid… https://t.co/ywJh9wFG1E— Rep. Jim Jordan (@Rep. Jim Jordan)1613075970.0
Twitter users wasted no time firing back at Jordan. Almost immediately after Jordan tweeted his arguments, he was lambasted with a flood of fiery tweets.
Political blogger Greg Sargent described Jordan's tweet as "monumentally dumb," saying, "Hard to overstate how monumentally dumb this argument is. 1) Trump told them to "preplan" Jan 6 for weeks and weeks. He incited it on the day *and* in the weeks leading up to it. 2) Many rioters who "preplanned" said in their own words that Trump had told them to do it."
Hard to overstate how monumentally dumb this argument is. 1) Trump told them to "preplan" Jan 6 for weeks and week… https://t.co/byutj7dNbD— Greg Sargent (@Greg Sargent)1613083015.0
One Twitter user also wrote, "This is not as persuasive as you think at getting us to believe that Trump was trying to *avoid* violence when he told the crowd to go to the Capitol."
This is not as persuasive as you think at getting us to believe that Trump was trying to *avoid* violence when he t… https://t.co/4AL7p8ofm5— Gabriel Malor (@Gabriel Malor)1613083151.0
Another Twitter user recounted Trump's actions leading up to the deadly insurrection and how he laid the groundwork for the attack. Despite Jordan's arguments, the user reminded him that Trump's dangerous tweets and false claims about the election being stolen along with his rhetoric during the rally ultimately led to the riots.
"You tweet about it dozens of times for weeks and then tell the people that you're going with them to the Capitol when you're really going back to the White House to watch them attack Congress on TV?" another Twitter user wrote.
Others also fired back with interesting questions as they destroyed Jordan's defense.
If all this was known before the speech, why did he invite these people to the White House and tell them to fight? https://t.co/cchlK9WNi5— Tom Malinowski (@Tom Malinowski)1613098696.0
So could the Capitol insurrection have occurred without Trump's influence? Georgetown University professor Don Moynihan dismantled that argument tweeting, "The House Managers have made an effective case that the origins of the attack were not on the day itself, but Trump's months-long Big Lie and call to fight, and summoning his supporters to DC on Jan 6th. Can anyone seriously believe the attack would have occurred without Trump?"
The House Managers have made an effective case that the origins of the attack were not on the day itself, but Trump… https://t.co/0MgQzRkdpR— Don Moynihan (@Don Moynihan)1613083045.0
Trump's second impeachment trial is currently underway.
- 'Five people are dead': Rep. Raskin calls out Jim Jordan for still ... ›
- 'Cancel Jim Jordan': GOP rep mocked for whining about 'cancel ... ›
- 'Loudmouthed Bully' Jim Jordan slammed for mounting 'stunningly ... ›
- GOP's Jim Jordan busted for lying about Nancy Pelosi and Capitol insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan and other right-wing leaders spread debunked narrative that Pelosi rejected National Guard - Alternet.org ›
- GOP's Jim Jordan under investigation by FEC for campaign reports - Alternet.org ›
- Joe Manchin learned all of the wrong lessons from the Capitol riot - Alternet.org ›
- 'Shut your mouth': Hearing goes totally off the rails after Jim Jordan rages against Dr. Fauci - Alternet.org ›
- REVEALED: Congressman scolded others for capitalizing on the pandemic -- while he was doing the exact same thing - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan melts down on Fox News with paranoid rant about 'the left' controlling everything - Alternet.org ›
- GOP's Jim Jordan outraged after DOJ refuses to investigate bizarre Italian space laser election fraud theory - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan actually tries to blame Democrats for the Jan. 6 attack - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan 'may well be a material witness' for the Jan 6. House committee. Here's what they should ask him - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why Jim Jordan is about to get legally dragged over whether he colluded with Trump to subvert 2020 - Alternet.org ›
- Rep. Jim Jordan accidentally shows the true face of the American fascist - Alternet.org ›
- 'Idiot' Jim Jordan mocked for claiming Dems are going to cancel Christmas - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan humiliated on Twitter over anti-vax tweet - Alternet.org ›