Georgia GOP launches 'devastating' attack on Black voter drives
Republicans in the state of Georgia are launching what voting rights advocates are calling a direct attack on the "souls to the polls" voter drives regularly used by Black churches in the state.
The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that new legislation proposed by Georgia Republicans would ban early voting on Sundays, which would effectively end Black Churches' voter drives.
A coalition of voting rights advocates decried the measure and said it would have a "devastating" impact on voting rights in Georgia.
In addition to banning Sunday voting, the bill would also make it illegal to hand out food and drinks to voters stuck in long polling place lines and would mandate that "absentee ballot drop boxes could only be located inside in-person early voting sites during working hours."
The bill also makes absentee voting more onerous by requiring a driver's license number, state ID number or copy of photo ID when requesting an absentee ballot.
Sara Tindall Ghazal, a Democratic voting rights advocate, said that the bill as a whole is a "horror show" for voting rights and said that efforts by the Georgia GOP to jam it through were "absolutely shameless."
- House Republicans are trying to stonewall voter suppression ... ›
- The Georgia runoffs reveal the bone-chilling depths of the GOP rot ... ›
- Voter suppression in Georgia seems to have failed — but trouble still ... ›
- Republicans are aggressively stepping up their voter suppression campaigns ahead of the 2022 midterms: report - Alternet.org ›
- Here are the ways Georgia could make it harder for residents to vote - Alternet.org ›
- Atlanta columnist: Georgia Republicans are trying to make good on Donald Trump's demand to 'find' 11,000 votes - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative pundit acknowledges a painful reality about GOP voting bills - Alternet.org ›
- 'Jim Crow in the 21st century': Biden slams Georgia's new voter suppression laws - Alternet.org ›
- As GOP fumes, Georgia Dems share mixed reactions to MLB's All-Star Game relocation - Alternet.org ›
- GOP goes to war with Major League Baseball as Georgia's voter suppression law drains state revenues - Alternet.org ›
- Leaked video reveals a GOP plan to intimidate Black and brown voters in Houston - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans angered after over 100 top corporate leaders meet to push back against GOP war on voting - Alternet.org ›
- Controversial GOP voting bills could overthrow elections - Alternet.org ›
- How election lies are roiling Republicans in Georgia — a critical state in the midterms - Alternet.org ›