Delusional GOP lawmakers, Trump supporters now blaming 'antifa' for Capitol Hill chaos
Most Americans clearly heard President Donald Trump encourage his supporters to march to Capitol Hill and demand the 2020 presidential election results be overturned in his favor. Shortly after Trump's directive, his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol Building.
But despite all evidence to the contrary, several delusional Republican lawmakers and a disturbing number of Trump loyalists insist antifa is to blame for their own behavior. Hours after law enforcement managed to gain control of the chaotic situation, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) expressed outrage over what ensued. However, he did not hold the Trump supporters accountable, reports the Washington Post.
According to the Republican lawmaker, some of the people who breached the Capitol today were not Trump supporters. They were masquerading as Trump supporters and in fact, were members of the "violent terrorist group" antifa. Antifa, a left-wing anti-fascist movement, has been described by some on the right at a "terrorist" organization, but the Southern Poverty Law Center cautions that designation is "dangerous" and "threatens civil liberties."
“Some of the people who breached the Capitol today...are members of the violent terrorist group, Antifa.” If were… https://t.co/Z3bIdAA5kR— cαηα∂α нαтεs тя☭мρ (@cαηα∂α нαтεs тя☭мρ)1610027218.0
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) also took to Twitter with a flurry of tweets that claimed there's "evidence" to suggest antifa was behind the riot — all of which, appears to be hearsay. On Thursday, Jan. 7, Brooks tweeted, "Please, don't be like #FakeNewsMedia, don't rush to judgment on assault on Capitol. Wait for investigation. All may not be (and likely is not) what appears. Evidence growing that fascist ANTIFA orchestrated Capitol attack with clever mob control tactics. Evidence follows:"
He also broke down his claims saying:
1. A Congressman warned me on MONDAY of a growing ANTIFA threat & advised that I sleep in my office rather than leaving Capitol complex & sleeping in my condo. I heeded that advice & have slept on office floor for 4 straight nights.
2. Congressman told me he was warned on TUESDAY by Capitol Police officer that intelligence suggested fascist ANTIFA was going to try to infiltrate the Trump rally by dressing like Trump supporters.
3. Capitol Police advised TUESDAY that it best not to leave Capitol complex.
4. Evidence, much public, surfacing that many Capitol assaulters were fascist ANTIFAs, not Trump supporters. Again, time will reveal truth. Don't rush to judgment. Don't be fooled by #FakeNewsMedia whose political judgment drives their reporting.
My view: fully prosecute all!
Please, don’t be like #FakeNewsMedia, don’t rush to judgment on assault on Capitol. Wait for investigation. All may… https://t.co/pO3yfXARO1— Mo Brooks (@Mo Brooks)1610025653.0
Conservative media figures and Trump supporters took to social media with bizarre claims in an effort to take the blame off the pro-Trump mob.
Antifa is responsible for this disruption today. No reason @realDonaldTrump supporters would interrupt the objectio… https://t.co/fDZTqUuY5C— Tim Defendorf (@Tim Defendorf)1609975024.0
US Army combat veteran @CoryMills_PACEM says "I'm pissed off at what I am seeing on American soil, I'm pissed off t… https://t.co/eylQPBhd7o— Newsmax (@Newsmax)1609971856.0
However, many Twitter users have pushed back with obvious clues that Trump supporters were, indeed, responsible for the Capitol building breach, noting masks were non-existent and there was no social distancing. Media outlets are also revealing the identities of some of the rioters photographed at the Capitol building.
Despite conservative attempts to divert from what happened, many of the rioters are, indeed, right-wing extremists.
Matt Gaetz said some rioters at the Capitol, "were masquerading as Trump supporters, and in fact were members of th… https://t.co/tQE5Rl8kBv— Thanks Georgia 🍑 Bye bye Mitch! (@Thanks Georgia 🍑 Bye bye Mitch!)1610025223.0
The same people who told you Covid was a hoax are now saying it was Antifa who stormed the US Capitol yesterday.— Richard Hine (@Richard Hine)1610031518.0
You can tell it wasn’t antifa because nobody got shot and the right is defending this as a simple “protest” instead… https://t.co/2HCt6OxjP2— Courtney Milan 🦖 (@Courtney Milan 🦖)1610031810.0
Many lawmakers are calling for those identified to face charges for their actions and involvement in the Capitol breach.
- Here are 5 key facts about antifa that Trump and right-wing media ... ›
- The Trump campaign's Nazi symbol scandal just got a whole lot worse ›
- Bill Barr and Trump desperately want to blame Antifa for violence ... ›
- The coup isn't over: Republican leaders continue to stoke the same conspiracies after deadly Capitol attack - Alternet.org ›
- Ex-Navy SEAL who bragged about 'breaching the Capitol' now claims he's 'not a traitor' after FBI questions him - Alternet.org ›
- Mo Brooks compared Biden's election to the start of the Civil War. Now he wants a Senate seat - Alternet.org ›