GOP Sen. Josh Hawley gets condemned by fellow Republican: ' 'Lies have consequences'
Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) is still angry about his Republican colleague Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) recent political stunt in support of President Donald Trump's dangerous coup to challenge the Electoral College certification despite the U.S. Capitol breach that led to the deaths of five people.
On Friday, Jan.8, Sasse appeared on NPR's "Morning Edition" with host Steve Inskeep where he discussed the disturbing series of events that unfolded this week. The Republican lawmaker lambasted Hawley for his attempt to invalidate the outcome of the election on behalf of a disgraced president.
Sasse did not hold back when it came to sharing his brutally honest opinion of the Missouri senator. "Senator Hawley was doing something that was really dumbass, and I have been clear about that in public and in private since long before he announced he was going to do this" Sasse said.
Although Hawley claims to have been on the right side of history, Sasse argues that his actions were nothing more than "a stunt" and a "terrible idea." He also condemned the senator for repeatedly lying to the American public.
He added, "This was a stunt, it was a terrible, terrible idea, and you don't lie to the American people, and that's been going on. The American people have been lied to, chiefly by Donald Trump, and lies have consequences."
Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) tells @NPRinskeep that Sen. Josh Hawley’s (R-MO) move to object to the Electoral College resu… https://t.co/cO0eaoNVkw— The Recount (@The Recount)1610117363.0
"The House, if they come together and have a process, I will definitely consider whatever articles they might move, because as I told you, I believe the president has disregarded his oath of office," Sasse said during a "CBS This Morning" interview.Lawmakers are currently working to determine the next course of action as Inauguration Day approaches.
- Tensions heat up among Republicans over Trump's push to undo ... ›
- 'There is no excuse': Conservative writer demolishes Republicans ... ›
- GOP Sen. Sasse says Trump was 'delighted' about the Capitol riot ... ›
- Republican senator goes off on his own party for 'playing with fire ... ›
- Trump's Electoral College scheme divides 2024 GOP successors ... ›
- Opinion | If these leaders define the future of the Republican Party, it ... ›
- Ben Sasse Slams Republican Effort to Challenge Election - The ... ›
- Sen. Sasse calls Josh Hawley's election objections 'really dumbass ... ›
- Ben Sasse slams Josh Hawley on Facebook - Chicago Tribune ›