Woman trampled to death during Capitol riots carried a 'don't tread on me' flag
In addition to the police officer killed by pro-Trump rioters at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday was 34-year-old Rosanne Boyland, a woman holding a "Don't Tread on Me" flag who was crushed and trampled to death by her fellow "patriots" (as the Trumps call them).
Boyland raided the Capitol along with hundreds of other insurrectionists. Her friend and fellow insurrectionist Justin Winchell told 9 News, "[Our fellow rioters] basically created a panic, and the police, in turn, push back on them, so people started falling. I put my arm underneath her and was pulling her out and then another guy fell on top of her, and another guy was just walking (on top of her). There were people stacked two-three deep… people just crushed."
Winchell said that paramedics tried to revive her but were unable.
Conservatives have adopted the American Revolution-era yellow "Don't Tread on Me" flag, also known as the Gadsden flag, as a way to oppose government intervention.
Boyland's brother-in-law Justin Law told the news outlet, "I've never tried to be a political person but it's my own personal belief that the president's words incited a riot that killed four of his biggest fans last night and I believe that we should invoke the 25th amendment at this time," adding, "Our family is grieving on every level for our country, for all the families that have lost loved ones or suffered injuries, for our own loss."
In addition to crushing a fellow insurrectionist, Trump's followers also killed a cop, Brian Sicknick, during their riot. Investigators are now opening federal murder charges into his death. So much for the "Blue Lives Matter" law-and-order crowd. Three others also died during the riots.
The FBI has since put out a wanted poster seeking 10 individuals caught on camera during the riots. Authorities are also combing through social media to identify the insurrectionists whose theft of government property may have caused a national security breach. Thus far, nearly 82 arrests have been made in connection with the coup attempt.
- Family member of woman killed at Capitol on Trump: He 'incited a ... ›
- GOP Sen. Sasse says Trump was 'delighted' about the Capitol riot ... ›
- Here's a list of charges the pro-Trump mob could face for storming ... ›
- 'Home-grown fascism': The storming of the US Capitol was even more 'sinister' originally thought - Alternet.org ›
- 'QAnon Shaman' once had a career in the Navy that ended over an anti-vax conspiracy - Alternet.org ›
- Multiple Republican representatives accused of helping to plan January 6 insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Shocking video of Capitol insurrection shows rioter saying Ted Cruz 'would want us to do this' - Alternet.org ›
- Federal prosecutors and former senior DOJ officials agree: Video evidence is damning against Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Is capitalism compatible with public health? This expert says no - Alternet.org ›
- Report details the type of weapons armed Capitol rioters wielded while storming the federal building - Alternet.org ›
- Former top DOJ official: Capitol riot evidence 'trending towards' sedition charges - Alternet.org ›
- Capitol rioter gets comeuppance from ex-employees he berated: 'Karma finally got him' - Alternet.org ›
- Capitol riot suspect from Florida claims he was breaking into the White House: report - Alternet.org ›
- Capitol riot defendant explains motives and remains boastful in exclusive jailhouse letter - Alternet.org ›
- 'You’re ridiculous!' Capitol riot hearing erupts after ex-acting defense secretary changes tune on Trump culpability - Alternet.org ›
- Why there was never going to be a bipartisan investigation into the Jan. 6 attacks - Alternet.org ›
- 'Pivotal' new video evidence released in Capitol riot investigation - Alternet.org ›
- The Capitol rioters didn't just target Congress and cops — new evidence shows how they went after journalists - Alternet.org ›
- Reports from FBI and DHS suggest a dangerous rift in law enforcement over the Jan. 6 coup plot. We need the truth - Alternet.org ›
- The evidence about Trump allies' dark scheme to overthrow democracy is piling up - Alternet.org ›
- DC attorney general to sue Proud Boys and Oath Keepers militias for Jan 6 attack - Alternet.org ›
- Former DC police officer who survived the Capitol riot slams 'insurrectionist members of Congress' as 'jackasses' - Alternet.org ›
- DOJ unveils explosive sedition charges against the Oath Keepers for the Jan. 6 attack - Alternet.org ›