Brian Williams promised ‘exclusive’ video of Trump’s meeting with Kevin McCarthy — and showed a ‘Jerry Maguire’ clip instead
On January 28, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy traveled to Palm Beach, Florida to meet with former President Donald Trump — and MSNBC's Brian Williams mocked the meeting by showing a clip from the 1996 movie "Jerry Maguire."
Williams, who hosts "The 11th Hour," told guests who included comedian Baratunde Thurston and Never Trump conservative Bill Kristol he was about to air "what I'm told is the first exclusive video out of this meeting today between McCarthy and Trump." Sounding perfectly serious, Williams told his guests, "We'll watch it and react on the other side." And then, he cut to the "Jerry Maguire" clip.
"Obviously, we have rolled the wrong clip," Williams told his guests as they were laughing. "We were sold a bill of goods here. I thought this was going to be of the McCarthy and Trump meeting and someone's gonna be, of course, in big trouble."
Never let it be said that Williams lacks a sense of humor.
- How MSNBC embraced a bizarre tone of 'pleasant surprise' to cover ... ›
- 'We might be living in the midst of a mob movie': Brian Williams ... ›
- NBC Suspends Brian Williams for Six Months: Multiple Mistruths ... ›
- GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy is a 'weak' and spineless servant of 'the Trump cult': journalist - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy mocked for saying he 'embraces free thought' as Liz Cheney is punished for speaking out - Alternet.org ›