'Prepare for war': GOP state rep pushes dangerous pro-Trump conspiracy theory over Biden win
It has been three days since the Electoral College confirmed President-elect Joe Biden's victory, but an overwhelming number of Republicans are still refusing to accept the outcome of the election. Propaganda articles and infotainment videos on conspiracy theories are still circulating as Trump supporters continue their fight to "stop the steal."
Now, an article published by the Seattle Times highlights another problem with the spread of misinformation. The writer notes that it is one thing when dangerous falsehoods come from unknown websites that lack credibility, but some of the latest threats are coming from members of the Republican Party.
According to the publication, on Monday, Rep. Robert J. Sutherland, a representative of the 39th legislative district of Eastern Snohomish County along with Skagit County, took to Facebook with a number of dangerous claims about the election.
In multiple posts, he referenced reports and claims from right-wing influencers and propaganda sites as he said, "prepare for war. Joe Biden is not now, nor will ever be my President. Am I a sore loser? No. I'm pro-America and anti-communist. Joe Biden is a bought and paid for Communist China puppet. Stay tuned, big things happening soon at the Federal level."
In a series of other Facebook posts and discussions, Sutherland also insisted that he supported the idea of going to war over the so-called "coup against the sitting president."
"Is the 'coup' against the sitting President the start of a second 'Civil War' here in the USA?" Sutherland asked as he noted his support of Trump possibly using the military to maintain his presidential power.
"What good and decent person would not conduct a war to defend Life, Liberty, the Pursuit of happiness, their families, their neighbors?" Sutherland asked.
- Noam Chomsky: Trump is a 'sociopathic maniac' capable of ... ›
- 'Signs of a coming conflict are everywhere': Why a 2nd Civil War ... ›
- Is a second American civil war really possible? - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why the whole GOP devolved into a conspiracy theory cult - Alternet.org ›
- Here are the steps Biden must take in order to defeat GOP obstruction: memo - Alternet.org ›
- Here's what to expect in the next 4 years of American war under President Biden - Alternet.org ›
- State Republican parties are lurching even farther rightward after failure of violent coup - Alternet.org ›
- I warned of Trump's psychological dangerousness — and Americans suffered for the failure to stop him - Alternet.org ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene: Matt Gaetz and I are 'taking charge' in the GOP 'civil war' - Alternet.org ›
- CNN's Jim Acosta: Trump advisers fear his 'insane' theories and are 'trying to talk him off the ledge' - Alternet.org ›
- 'This is deranged': Conservative columnist laments how thoroughly 'insane' the Trumpified GOP has become - Alternet.org ›
- Trump may have conspiracy-theorized his way to defeat and thought Democrats would replace Biden: new book - Alternet.org ›
- New analysis reveals the secrets of Biden's 2020 win - Alternet.org ›
- Journalists who present GOP's attack on democracy as normal politics are complicit in Republican propaganda - Alternet.org ›
- Jimmy Kimmel takes a jab at Trump's latest 'nutty' political attack aimed at Dr. Fauci - Alternet.org ›