Mitch McConnell slammed for repeatedly sabotaging stimulus negotiation efforts
Democrats are moving closer toward the government they need to make timely and effective changes but there is still one roadblock obstructing their path: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). Due to his repeated efforts to block the passing of another stimulus relief package, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has a serious message for McConnell as the pandemic rages on.
During an appearance on MSNBC, Sanders posed a question about McConnell's next move as he expressed concern about his lack of regard for the American people's suffering during the pandemic. "I think we can have virtually all of the United States Democratic senators on board. The question now is whether or not Mitch McConnell is going to turn his back, as your report just indicated, on the incredible suffering that the American people, the working people are now experiencing."
From "record unemployment" to hunger and nationwide evictions, Sanders stressed the severity of this pandemic-related public emergency.
"Here in Washington, when we go to war, there's endless amounts of money; Tax breaks for billionaires, endless amounts of money; corporate welfare, endless amounts of money; when children are going hungry in America today, suddenly we don't have enough money," Sanders said. "That's crap. That's wrong."
Sanders' latest remarks come as coronavirus cases are soaring in states across the country. In addition to case numbers, positivity rates, hospitalizations, and the death toll are also continuing to rise. Due to the alarming spikes, many states are even being forced to roll back their reopening plans in an effort to slow the spread of the virus. However, this time around, closures are happening with limited unemployment benefits to supplement the losses in income. Eviction moratoriums are also near expiration yet McConnell and Senate Republicans are doing very little to advance stimulus negotiations.
As of Tuesday, Dec. 15, the United States has reported nearly 17 million coronavirus cases as the death toll surpasses 300,000.
- 'The most powerful Republican in Washington?' McConnell's ... ›
- Anger grows at GOP over economic pain: 'I blame Mitch McConnell ... ›
- Congressional GOP rejects a second round of stimulus checks as ... ›
- Watch: AOC excoriate Mitch McConnell on House floor - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell is doing a really good job of completely wrecking ... ›
- McConnell gets the Katie Porter treatment over COVID stimulus hold-up: 'A slap in the face to businesses' - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell is holding your community hostage until corporations can kill you without consequence - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell is nervous about Georgia — here's how Democrats can use that to their advantage - Alternet.org ›
- 'Doesn't give a damn about you': McConnell made a revealing admission in the COVID relief debates - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell comes under fire as Trump opens the door to $2,000 relief checks - Alternet.org ›
- Here are 11 ways to beat Mitch McConnell — even if Democrats don't take back the Senate - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell faced with 'nightmare' scenario if Senate is forced to vote on $2000 COVID checks: CNN - Alternet.org ›
- Here's one senator's brilliant plan to force McConnell to hold a vote on $2,000 stimulus checks - Alternet.org ›
- Trump and McConnell are finally breaking up - Alternet.org ›
- A party divided: Lindsey Graham slams Mitch McConnell - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell warned of a looming 'death spiral' before all hell broke loose on Capitol Hill - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell's obstruction of Biden's agenda has already begun - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell slammed for his own effort to virtually 'overturn the Senate election' - Alternet.org ›