Ex-Colin Powell chief of staff says Michael Flynn should face court martial for 'incitement to insurrection'
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is among the far-right Republicans saying President Donald Trump should declare martial law and reconduct the 2020 election because of widespread voter fraud. Many elections officials and national security experts, however, have stressed that there is no evidence that such fraud occurred or that President-elect Joe Biden didn't win the 2020 presidential election fairly. And when Col. Lawrence B. Wilkerson, who served as chief of staff to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, spoke to MSNBC's Chris Hayes on Monday night, December 21, he expressed his outrage over Flynn's martial law suggestion and recommended that he face court martial.
Wilkerson told Hayes, "I have to commend all those people out there in every state who worked so hard to deliver a free and fair election. At the same time I saw that, I have to say my fears are somewhat significant with a former lieutenant general in the United States Army saying what Flynn said with regard to martial law and going to the battleground states and essentially reconducting the election. Were I the secretary of defense, I'd call him back to active duty — which is in the prerogative of the secretary of defense — and I'd court martial him."
The former Colin Powell chief of staff, who considers Flynn a "disgrace to his uniform," added, "at a minimum, I'd cite him for incitement to insurrection. This is not something that a military officer should do…. He needs to be rebuked. He needs to be reprimanded. And it needs to be done officially."
The 75-year-old Wilkerson was also highly critical of pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell and former Breitbart Media Chairman Steve Bannon — two other extremists who have been making baseless claims of widespread voter fraud.
"These other people like Bannon and Powell and so forth, they're sycophants who are seeking whatever they can gain from the magic aura of this man before it dissipates. It frightens me as to the things they could do if the 25th Amendment or something like it is not implemented and we don't remove (Trump) from office."
- Critics warn Trump is gearing up to pardon Roger Stone, Mike Flynn ... ›
- Mike Flynn's lawyer just admitted to a federal judge she's discussed ... ›
- Mike Flynn joins chorus of right-wingers demanding new election ... ›
- Michael Flynn's family members file $75M lawsuit against CNN over QAnon video - Alternet.org ›
- Americans demand court-martial for Flynn after call for military coup: 'Honor veterans — arrest this traitor' - Alternet.org ›
- Mike Flynn: I did not call for a coup despite what that video shows - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why Michael Flynn is desperately trying to cover up his call for a coup in the U.S. - Alternet.org ›
- Roger Stone interrupted during radio interview to get served papers for Capitol riot lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- REVEALED: Mike Flynn hid $200K payments for Middle East nuclear plan before joining White House - Alternet.org ›
- Former US secretary of state Colin Powell remembered by those who knew him - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: A doctor explains why Colin Powell was susceptible to COVID-19 despite being fully vaccinated - Alternet.org ›
- 'Pig' Donald Trump slammed after complaining Colin Powell is being treated 'so beautifully’ in death - Alternet.org ›
- How Colin Powell paved the way for Trump - Alternet.org ›
- 'The knives are out': Report details how pro-Trump ‘conspiracy theorists’ are tearing themselves apart - Alternet.org ›
- Michael Flynn's legal fight to avoid Jan. 6 inquiry gets rapidly shot down by a judge - Alternet.org ›
- Retired general urges US to prepare for next coup that could 'infect the rank and file' in the military - Alternet.org ›
- Michael Flynn envisioned ‘a Myanmar-style military coup’ for the US — and he hasn’t given up: report - Alternet.org ›
- Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon hit with subpoenas as Smartmatic suit against Fox looms: report - Alternet.org ›