Pelosi could use the 14th Amendment to avoid seating GOP politicians who supported Trump's election steal
Progressives are pushing for Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to use Section 3 of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to avoid seating any Republican House members who have publicly supported President Donald Trump's attempt to steal the election from Democratic President-Elect Joe Biden.
That's because Section 3 of the 14th Amendment literally says that anyone who has tried to rebel against the Constitution after having pledged to protect it can't hold political office. This would include any GOP House members who signed onto an amicus brief supporting Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's bogus Supreme Court case seeking to toss hundreds of thousands of votes in four swing states, so that Trump can steal a democratically decided election.
The Section reads: "No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. "
Democratic New Jersey Representative Bill Pascrell wrote in a tweet, "The text of the 14th Amendment expressly forbids Members of Congress from engaging in rebellion against the United States. Trying to overturn a democratic election and install a dictator seems like a pretty clear example of that."
Today I’m calling on House leaders to refuse to seat any Members trying to overturn the election and make donald tr… https://t.co/oHt65ZrIHJ— Bill Pascrell, Jr. (@Bill Pascrell, Jr.)1607715569.0
Twitter users seem to like the idea:
@BillPascrell This seems to be the only remedy that will have any teeth. As of right now, Republicans are so delude… https://t.co/6bifHV3j9A— 🌐 Agent K ➖🕵️♂️ 🔎 👁️ 💬 📡 ⏱️ 🎯 ⚖️ ➖ 🌊 (@🌐 Agent K ➖🕵️♂️ 🔎 👁️ 💬 📡 ⏱️ 🎯 ⚖️ ➖ 🌊)1607728442.0
@BillPascrell There is a logical corollary here: How does Congress seat Republicans who themselves claim by inferen… https://t.co/vPFyHd0ReA— Peter Vroom 📫🌊 (@Peter Vroom 📫🌊)1607716463.0
@PeterVroom1 @BillPascrell A ballot cannot be BOTH illegitimate at the top AND legitimate at the bottom. How do the… https://t.co/PczCiXy4pM— KatrinkaC (@KatrinkaC)1607719426.0
@canihaveurpants @Joannem23661870 @BillPascrell @SpeakerPelosi The dems need to do something. Im not a lawyer so I… https://t.co/c5SdlLeuTX— Tired In AZ 🌊🌊🌊🌊#resist (@Tired In AZ 🌊🌊🌊🌊#resist)1607724561.0
- Did Lindsey Graham just violate the 14th Amendment during an ... ›
- Constitutional Scholars Shut Down Trump's Hopes of Changing the ... ›
- Here's how the midterms lay out the path for a New Reconstruction ›
- 'It's a Stunt': Americans Rip Trump's 'Bigoted' and 'Bullsh*t' Promise ... ›
- Why Trump's Supreme Court nominee believes all Civil Rights ... ›
- House Democrat says a provision in the 14th Amendment means ... ›
- All 10 living former defense secretaries condemn GOP attempts to overturn the election - Alternet.org ›
- Top election law expert urges Trump prosecution for demanding 'shakedown' and 'belated ballot box stuffing' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Trump has not acted alone': House member demands criminal probe into president — and GOP enablers - Alternet.org ›
- Trump acknowledges he will leave the White House — in 4 am statement on aide's Twitter account - Alternet.org ›
- 'Co-conspirators in sedition': Here are the names of every Republican who voted to overturn election results - Alternet.org ›
- House Minority Leader McCarthy exploded at Trump for claiming 'antifa' was to blame for Capitol riot: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Mentally disturbed' Trump will only become more dangerous as he struggles to tolerate reality: psychiatrist - Alternet.org ›
- An arcane section of the 14th Amendment could cause serious trouble for Trump - Alternet.org ›
- This Supreme Court doesn't deserve the deference Pelosi and Biden are giving it - Alternet.org ›
- Pelosi sees four options for moving forward on Jan. 6 investigation. Only one makes any sense - Alternet.org ›
- 'Queen of Shade': Nancy Pelosi applauded for trolling Trump as 'Twice-impeached Florida retiree' - Alternet.org ›