GOP leader Kevin McCarthy abruptly backtracks from his claim that 'Trump won this election'
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy had to backtrack on Friday after claiming on Fox News the previous night that "President Trump won this election."
As of this writing, only one major election outlet — Decision Desk HQ — had called the election; it projected Joe Biden as the winner, based on his lead in Pennsylvania, which appears to be insurmountable. Other outlets have yet to declare a winner, but vote counts in the remaining key swing states, with the exception of North Carolina, all seemed to be leaning against the incumbent president. Biden has multiple paths to a clear victory, whereas something extraordinary would have to change for Trump to win.
Dave Wasserman, of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, revealed on Friday afternoon that McCarthy had clarified to him that he did not intend to declare Trump the victor in the presidential election.
Instead, Wasserman said, McCarthy meant that the president "gets the credit for helping us win House seats." This explanation was particularly odd, though, because McCarthy had posted the video of him incorrectly declaring victory for Trump on Twitter Thursday night.
Breaking: House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy tells me he didn't mean to declare Trump the victor on @FoxNews last nigh… https://t.co/tX6as7W9q0— Dave Wasserman (@Dave Wasserman)1604698926.0
Despite this correction, McCarthy still seems intent on feeding into Trump's disinformation campaign about the election results. In the video, he urged viewers: "Everyone who's listening: Do not be quiet. Do not be silent about this. We cannot allow this to happen before our very eyes. We need to unite together. You don't need to be a Republican. You believe every legal vote needs to count. You believe in the American process. Join together and and let's stop this."
This was nonsensical and almost certainly intentionally misleading. There's nothing to "stop" — the vote counting is ongoing. The suggestion that "every legal vote needs to count" was meant to imply that a significant number of illegal votes are being counted — a conspiracy theory Trump is trying to use to his advantage. The truth is Trump and the GOP fear that the continued counting of legitimate votes will make him a loser, so they're desperately trying to find a way to stop that result.
But based on McCarthy's comments to Wasserman, he may also be hedging his bets, not wanting to stick too closely to Trump if he goes down.
- A vote for doom: Trump is defeated — but the state of chaos remains - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy slammed for his 'delusional cult behavior' as he continues to live in Trump's fantasy land - Alternet.org ›
- Pennsylvania GOP senator says Trump has 'exhausted all plausible legal options' as he urges cooperation on Biden transition - Alternet.org ›
- A top Republican's pathetic reply to Nancy Pelosi shows how the GOP got caught in her trap - Alternet.org ›
- House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy under fire after newly elected Republican dies from COVID-19 - Alternet.org ›
- Pro-Trump Missouri senator announces he will contest Biden’s certification - Alternet.org ›
- 'Kevin McCarthy must resign': House minority leader slammed for enabling Trump's 'most destructive acts' - Alternet.org ›
- Reporter reveals how top House Republican Kevin McCarthy 'left McConnell twisting in the wind' - Alternet.org ›
- BUSTED: Republican caught trying to bring a gun onto the House floor - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy admits to pushback against QAnon lawmaker's wild impeachment stunt - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy says he'll have a 'conversation' with Marjorie Taylor Greene over support for killing Dems - Alternet.org ›
- Top Republican Kevin McCarthy goes crawling back to Trump - Alternet.org ›
- GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy is a 'weak' and spineless servant of 'the Trump cult': journalist - Alternet.org ›
- GOP's McCarthy announces he supports Marjorie Greene — accuses Dems of 'choosing to raise the temperature' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Smoking gun': House Republican admits Trump made an explosive comment during the Capitol attack - Alternet.org ›
- Trump fumes over McCarthy again as his big night at CPAC approaches: report - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy slammed after his latest Dr. Seuss publicity stunt - Alternet.org ›
- Republican House Leader McCarthy plays his partisan cards — and folds - Alternet.org ›
- McCarthy refuses to remove Gaetz from committee overseeing DOJ despite clear conflict of interest - Alternet.org ›
- 'Clean up your mess, Kevin': Hakeem Jeffries slams House Minority Leader McCarthy for demanding Maxine Waters' censure - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: GOP leader McCarthy squirms as Chris Wallace grills him on Trump’s seditious Jan. 6 behavior - Alternet.org ›
- 'Gutless' Kevin McCarthy buried in scorn for refusing to talk about Trump's phone call on Jan 6th - Alternet.org ›
- 'Sad, pathetic and weak': Kevin McCarthy demolished for his mealy-mouthed defense of Trump's insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- 'Actions have consequences': Republican group begins grading GOP members — and Kevin McCarthy gets an F - Alternet.org ›
- 'Deranged lies': Supercut busts GOP leader McCarthy for brazenly flip-flopping on Trump's insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- The darkly funny truth about the GOP: Kevin McCarthy is being bullied into submission - Alternet.org ›