A new conservative war? Newsmax aims to out Fox News as they vie for frustrated Trump supporters
Although Fox News has long been accused of contributing to polarization in America, many conservatives still do not believe the network is pro-Trump enough. And now, supporters of President Donald Trump are quickly becoming disgruntled with Fox News over its coverage of the presidential election — and Newsmax could be the next conservative news network on the horizon.
Just days after the presidential election, news outlets like Breitbart, Drudge Report and Real Clear Politics saw a significant drop in traffic compared to News,ax and Gateway Pundit, based on data accumulated by the web analytics platform, SimilarWeb.
During an interview with Axiox, Newsmax founder Chris Ruddy indicated that the traffic surge came as Fox News called Arizona for President-elect Joe Biden. Although the call was ultimately accurate, it infuriated Trump supporters echoing the president's claims of voter fraud.
"It felt like it was an earthquake on election night," Ruddy said during a 40-minute interview. "The walls have been breached."
Ruddy, who happens to be a member of Trump's Mar-a-Lago Trump's golf club in West Palm Beach, revealed the president called him last week to congratulate him on the ratings surge. Out for revenge, Trump has reportedly expressed interest in starting his own "direct-to-consumer, digital streaming media company" to tackle Fox News.
In fact, on Sunday, he also alluded to such when he commended One American News Network and other conservative outlets he deemed as "great alternatives" to Fox News.
"Many great alternatives are forming & exist. Try @OANN & @newsmax, among others!" Trump tweeted on Sunday.
This is why @FoxNews daytime and weekend daytime have lost their ratings. They are abysmal having @alfredenewman1 (… https://t.co/PfVuHMiuY1— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump)1605443114.0
Despite Trump's complaints about Fox News, the network stands by its decision to call Arizona for Biden during the 2020 election.
- Furious Trump fans are boycotting Tucker Carlson over Fox News ... ›
- Watch: Fox News host expertly debunks Trump's 'baseless and false ... ›
- Trump's legal team takes to Fox News to cry election fraud — it didn't ... ›
- Newsmax host calls on Trump supporters to overthrow GOP and form 'MAGA Party' - Alternet.org ›
- Newsmax CEO cornered for spreading false information about election because it's great for ratings - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Do you feel embarrassed?’ Journalist Mehdi Hasan grills Newsmax CEO on why he airs claim COVID is a ‘scam’ - Alternet.org ›