'What's going on?' Mitch McConnell refuses to explain to voters why he's bruised and bandaged
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday was photographed with what appear to be disturbing bruises on his face and hands, and with bandages on his hands as well, but he is refusing to share with voters what health issues he is suffering from.
McConnell told CNN there are "no problems." When asked if he had any health problems the 78-year old said: "Of course not."
The Kentucky lawmaker "did not respond when asked if he was being treated by a doctor. An aide to McConnell also declined to provide any additional details when asked multiple times about the majority leader's health."
The Courier-Journal reports McConnell earlier this month "refused to say whether he had recently been tested" for coronavirus.
"Have I ever been tested? Yes," he said after reporters repeatedly asked him about that. "But I'm not going to answer questions about when."
McConnell, who has been blocking coronavirus legislation for months, is seeking re-election. He is challenged by Democrat Amy McGrath. He is nine points ahead of her according to a recent poll.
On social media, many are speculating about the Majority Leader's heath since he refuses to share with voters what has caused his appearance.
Some images and responses via Twitter:
This *is* odd. What the heck is going on with Mitch McConnell's hands? The image is legit: https://t.co/SqG15b3tEL https://t.co/Nmf0EXAZxh— Steve Silberman (@Steve Silberman)1603313655.0
I zoomed in and lightened the picture a lot. A real lot. Looks like an IV Prn Adaptor to me. That's a Flexible N… https://t.co/qpnKXHG9Wz— Charlene 🌊😷 (@Charlene 🌊😷)1603308534.0
I hope Mitch McConnell isn't in poor health but his hands look gnarly (images from Getty) https://t.co/2vXuqsbliw— Aaron Rupar (@Aaron Rupar)1603392273.0
Pictures of @senatemajldr the past two days. The man is running for senate here in Kentucky in two-weeks. He wo… https://t.co/7NijalksZ3— Rex Chapman🏇🏼 (@Rex Chapman🏇🏼)1603400196.0
@houseofsnarks I’m an infusion nurse and even in the very elderly on Coumadin I have never seen infiltrations or IV… https://t.co/BxvJmQVc0s— Debbie Johnson (@Debbie Johnson)1603407622.0
What is going on with Mitch McConnell's health? https://t.co/13icSKvhSd— ☇RiotWomenn☇ (@☇RiotWomenn☇)1603316077.0
What is going on with his hands?! https://t.co/uHejYBj8ea— George Takei (@George Takei)1603423666.0
- Mitch McConnell rushing to confirm more Trump judges after Biden’s election win - Alternet.org ›
- Economists, healthcare workers beg for COVID-19 relief — Mnuchin and McConnell give them the finger - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell has a playbook to destroy a Biden presidency — and it's already in the works - Alternet.org ›
- A Senate insider has a dark warning about Mitch McConnell - Alternet.org ›
- 'Economic sabotage': McConnell unveils COVID plan with $0 for unemployment boost, direct payments - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell has a simple and diabolical plan to make Americans' lives miserable - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell moves one step closer to jamming through Trump's anti-First Amendment FCC pick - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell's rush to confirm FEC commissioners is aimed at undermining election watchdog: legal expert - Alternet.org ›
- In private call, Mitch McConnell tries to shut down GOP plan to contest Biden's win: reports - Alternet.org ›
- Trump and McConnell are finally breaking up - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell warned of a looming 'death spiral' before all hell broke loose on Capitol Hill - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell's obstruction of Biden's agenda has already begun - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell slammed for his own effort to virtually 'overturn the Senate election' - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell is terrified of Trump. Why isn't he worried about a center-right Republican revolt? - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell adviser offers GOP tips to turn Marjorie Taylor Greene into the 'most useless congressperson' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Loony lies and conspiracy theories': Mitch McConnell goes off on Marjorie Taylor Greene - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell condemned Trump for the Capitol attack — but he’s just as guilty - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell's very own 'big lie': Here's why we shouldn't blame Democrats for 'botching' Trump impeachment - Alternet.org ›
- Former CPAC chair: 'The Republican party really no longer stands for any kind of principles' - Alternet.org ›
- House GOP radicals eyeing open Senate seats could make McConnell's life a living hell - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell tantrum vows 'scorched-earth' if Dems bypass filibuster to expand voting rights - Alternet.org ›
- 'Joker threatening Gotham City': McConnell mocked for threatening 'scorched Earth' if Dems kill filibuster - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell's tirade shows that he's really getting scared - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell gets rebuked for calling voting rights bill a 'power grab' - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell's increasingly desperate efforts to keep the filibuster are backfiring - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell keeps getting caught telling lies. Turns out, being minority leader is less fun - Alternet.org ›
- Ex-GOP counsel offers Democrats advice on how to deal with Mitch McConnell's filibuster threats - Alternet.org ›
- Democrats set to deploy an obscure rule that will allow them to push aside McConnell's obstruction: report - Alternet.org ›
- Mitch McConnell's hypocrisy on bold display after he tells CEOs to 'stay out of politics' - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell's 'stay out of politics' warning to corporations doesn't seem to be working - Alternet.org ›
- Scientists calculated how many T. Rexes lived on Earth — here's how - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell claimed Democrats are 'addicted to divide and conquer.' Critics offered him a GOP history lesson - Alternet.org ›
- 'Careful what you wish for': Dem lawmaker warns McConnell will regret blocking MAGA riot probe - Alternet.org ›
- 'Outrageous and reprehensible': Mitch McConnell slams Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'frequent outbursts' - Alternet.org ›
- McConnell proves once again there's no 'good faith' among Senate Republicans - Alternet.org ›
- 'Behind us': Mitch McConnell giggles as he shares his extremely whitewashed version of US history - Alternet.org ›
- Why Mitch McConnell's 'biggest fear' is that Biden will succeed with the economy: Chris Matthews - Alternet.org ›