Trump-loving former GOP official who hated face masks dies from COVID-19
Former Nashville Council Member Tony Tenpenny, a Trump-loving Republican who posted anti-face mask memes on Facebook, has died from complications resulting from being infected from COVID-19.
The Tennessean reports that Tenpenny “was hospitalized for more than a month at one of the St. Thomas hospitals and was placed on a ventilator earlier in September” before he died over the weekend.
Nashville Mayor John Cooper expressed his condolences after hearing of Tenpenny’s passing.
“I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former councilman Tony Tenpenny,” he said. “I send my condolences to his wife, Robbie, their son Ira and the rest of the Tenpenny family.”
As The Tennessee Holler points out on Twitter, Tenpenny regularly railed against COVID-19 restrictions on his Facebook page, and he posted memes that attacked face masks as part of a socialist plot, while also directly accusing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of lying about the severity of the disease.
Tenpenny’s Facebook page was also filled with memes and content supportive of President Donald Trump.
- This data-driven model shows how wearing masks saves lives - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Viral video captures GOP club members dancing in conga line at maskless holiday party in NYC - Alternet.org ›
- Louisiana GOP Congressman-elect Luke Letlow dies after battle with COVID-19 - Alternet.org ›
- A 'huge chasm on the right': Columnist says GOP must choose between the US Constitution and violent ‘insurrection’ - Alternet.org ›
- Some in the GOP worry the party will not survive after 4 years of Trump - Alternet.org ›
- All 10 GOP senators behind skimpy COVID relief offer happily voted for $740 billion military budget - Alternet.org ›
- Trump must be convicted to 'save the US' from a 'dangerous road of violence': GOP congressman - Alternet.org ›
- The GOP is now the Soviet Communist Party circa 1979 — and headed for a similar fate: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- US Representative Tom Reed accused of sexual misconduct: Washington Post - Alternet.org ›
- An admission of Republican failure hovers beneath every racist coronavirus slur - Alternet.org ›
- 'People are frustrated': Even Louisiana voters are ditching the Republican Party after Capitol insurrection - Alternet.org ›
- The GOP's pro-COVID plan is straight out of its usual playbook - Alternet.org ›
- The GOP has become the death wish party - Alternet.org ›
- Economist Paul Krugman: Republicans are playing politics with American lives as COVID ravages the unvaccinated - Alternet.org ›
- Fact checker slams Republicans for pushing 'ghoulish' COVID lies while their voters 'suffer' in hospitals - Alternet.org ›
- Facts, fears and the evolution of masking throughout the COVID-19 pandemic - Alternet.org ›
- Trump tries to claim the COVID pandemic was ‘over’ when he left office - Alternet.org ›