Here's what you need to know about the bogus Trump nomination for a Nobel Peace Prize
STOP THE PRESSES (Story updated): Wednesday morning Donald Trump posted 17 tweets about his having been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Many of them from notoriously biased sources like Fox News, OANN, and the Washington Times. However, this is not as significant a story as Trump's tweetstorm would seem to suggest.
Trump is an imminent danger to the United States and the world. He has embraced America’s tyrannical enemies and alienated our allies. He has withdrawn the U.S. from critical agreements that have kept the nation safe. For instance...
- The Paris Accords on Climate Change - to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- United Nations Arms Trade Treaty - that sets global standards for regulating transfers of conventional arms, from rifles to tanks and airplanes.
- The Iran Nuclear Agreement (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) - to restrict Iran's ability to develop nuclear weapons in exchange for lifting economic sanctions against Tehran.
- The Open Skies Treaty - to assure that nations are not preparing for military action.
- The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that limits the development of ground-based missiles with a range of 500 to 5,500 kilometers
That's not exactly a resume that justifies a Nobel Peace Prize nomination. While Trump and his cult followers are celebrating this news, there's really much less there than they think. In fact, this nomination means nothing at all. Here are a couple of relevant quotes from an article by the Associated Press:
"An anti-immigrant Norwegian lawmaker said Wednesday that he has nominated U.S. President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in the Middle East."
"Nominations must be sent to the Norwegian Nobel Committee by Feb. 1, meaning the deadline to nominate people for this year’s peace prize has passed."
"Tybring-Gjedde was one of two Norwegian lawmakers who nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 for efforts to bring reconciliation between North and South Korea."
This is a repeat performance by a dedicated Trump-fluffer who is determined to help Trump satisfy his obsessive, narcissistic jealousy of President Obama. In other words, nothing to get excited about. Unless you’re Trump, who hammered out 17 tweets. But it isn't going anywhere.