This key detail from Rachel Maddow’s interview with Mary Trump could have ‘enormous significance’
MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show" on Thursday broadcast an interview with Mary Trump, the president's niece who just published a blockbuster tell-all book.
"By the time that The Times story came out, did you know what they had?" Maddow asked. "Did you know that -- sort of the explosiveness of the alleged misdeeds that they were going to uncover thanks to what you gave them?"
"I had no idea," she replied.
"It wasn't just that people in my family did these things that they shouldn't have done, but these were my aunts and uncles who also happened to be my trustees and clearly I didn't benefit from the role that they were supposed to play in protecting my financial interests when I was younger," she explained.
Asha Rangappa, a former FBI special agent who is a CNN analyst, said that part of the interview could have "enormous significance."
Here is the thread Rangappa posted explaining why she identified the interaction as an important:
2. A “trustee,” is a term with legal significance. Someone who acts as a trustee has a FIDUCIARY DUTY — in Mary Tru… https://t.co/NMN3b9XmPB— Asha Rangappa (@Asha Rangappa)1594950599.0
4. The NY AG found that the Trump Foundation — run by Donald and his eldest three kids — violated their FIDUCIARY D… https://t.co/1WEv36iW9t— Asha Rangappa (@Asha Rangappa)1594950819.0
6. Everything that Barr is doing, at Trunp’s behest, is a violation of Trump’s FIDUCIARY DUTY, to the American peop… https://t.co/rR6k6shcZ1— Asha Rangappa (@Asha Rangappa)1594951045.0
8. In case it’s not clear, as President, Trump is effectively a “trustee” for the American people, who are the “ben… https://t.co/Dlfi314id4— Asha Rangappa (@Asha Rangappa)1594951428.0
Mary Trump says she was "utterly blown away" by the NY Times reporting on Pres. Trump's taxes: "The financial devic… https://t.co/uKKkrPfyB6— MSNBC (@MSNBC)1594950753.0
- Trump is in an ‘uncontrollable rage’: Mary Trump says ‘somebody has to step in and stop’ her uncle - Alternet.org ›
- Rachel Maddow and MSNBC win $258,000 in attorney fees after beating OAN in court - Alternet.org ›
- Trump immediately bristles when Bill O'Reilly shatters his view of himself - Alternet.org ›