CNN anchor chokes up after covering mass shootings and slams Trump and Congress for going on 'vacation'
In a powerful segment Friday, CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin became emotional and choked up, wiping tears away from her eyes, as she recounted her past week covering the two mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas.
"This has been a horrible week for America," she said. "I never thought in my 20 years in journalism that I would get a call last Sunday morning from my boss asking me to cover a mass shooting and I actually had to ask the question: Which one? And then for three days I stood there in Dayton, Ohio, in a street where blood was still splattered on the sidewalk in front of a bar where nine people were murdered. And there I was co-anchoring with my colleagues in El Paso, ping-ponging back and forth between one mass shooting to the next. That was a first for me, and I'm worried it might not be the last unless there is real change in Washington."
She then noted that President Donald Trump is going on vacation — and Congress is already on recess. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the issue can wait until lawmakers return, Baldwin noted.
But while they're away, said Baldwin, the country is terrified.
Watch the clip below:
"Blood was still splattered on the sidewalk." @BrookeBCNN chokes up while recounting covering Dayton and El Paso s… https://t.co/lpzaSeZ5ho— CNN (@CNN) 1565382810
- At least 13 people injured in NYC subway shooting - Alternet.org ›
- Footage reveals the hero who identified NYC Subway shooter to the police - Alternet.org ›
- 'This was an acute situation': NYC public advocate explains why adding cops will not prevent gun violence - Alternet.org ›
- Sen. Mark Kelly delivers profane assessment of 'nuts' US gun policy following horrific mass shooting in Texas - Alternet.org ›
- Some Democrats fear a mass shooting on House floor — by a QAnon-Republican - Alternet.org ›