Here's Nancy Pelosi's plan to corner Trump and trap Mitch McConnell using his own legislation
In less than 24 hours, Nancy Pelosi will be sworn in as Speaker of the House. And her first immediate challenge will be how to break President Donald Trump's childish federal government shutdown over his border wall.
As it turns out, Pelosi has the perfect plan to trap Trump and the Senate GOP.
On Wednesday, flanked by incoming House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Pelosi told reporters the first thing her House would do:
Nancy Pelosi: "Tomorrow we will bring to the floor legislation that will open up government. It will be based on ac… https://t.co/DaA7iayoW0— Kyle Griffin (@Kyle Griffin) 1546465248
In other words, Pelosi plans to introduce and pass the same funding bill that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) shepherded through the Senate by voice vote two weeks ago — which happens to not include funding for Trump's wall!
By passing this bill in the Senate but blocking it in the House on Trump's order, Republicans boxed themselves in. They cannot easily claim that their own bill they just voted for in the Senate is soft on border security. Nor can they pin the blame on Pelosi for not retaking up the alternative House bill that included Trump's wall funding, because that bill was rejected by the Senate.
That leaves McConnell with two choices. He can bring the original bill to the floor for near-certain passage, after which Trump will be forced to either surrender or veto it and once again take credit for the shutdown. Or, he can block the bill from going to a vote at all, and share the blame with Trump for the shutdown as, in the other chamber of the Capitol, Pelosi and House Democrats cast themselves as the sole adults who are trying to get the government reopened and back to work.
As long as House Democrats stick to their guns, is hard to see a graceful exit strategy for Trump and Senate Republicans.
- There is ‘little appetite for’ Trump’s plan to oust McConnell from his GOP leadership role: report - Alternet.org ›
- Pelosi slams McCarthy over mask mandate opposition: 'He’s such a moron' - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s how Mitch McConnell outsmarted Trump — even though it created a major rift in the GOP - Alternet.org ›
- GOP senators are resisting Trump’s push to ‘depose’ Mitch McConnell: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Is Pelosi insane?' Dems slammed over $500 million in military aid to Ukraine - Alternet.org ›
- 'McConnell is done': GOP leader leaves far-right in a frenzy after condemning RNC censure of Cheney and Kinzinger - Alternet.org ›
- Trump baselessly blames Nancy Pelosi for not stopping attack on Capitol, says he assumed 'they' were taking care of it - Alternet.org ›
- 'What the hell is wrong with them?' GOP senators kill $35 cap on insulin - Alternet.org ›
- New analysis breaks down Mitch McConnell’s strategic erosion of U.S. democracy - Alternet.org ›
- Why Nancy Pelosi's Asia trip is so controversial - Alternet.org ›
- 'Crazy idea!' McConnell strategist says Trump testifying to Jan. 6 Committee would be 'perilous' - Alternet.org ›
- Speaker Pelosi’s husband hospitalized after being 'violently assaulted' inside their home by assailant - Alternet.org ›
- 'They have something on him': Trump calls for McConnell to be 'impeached' — which is not possible - Alternet.org ›
- 'Have they no decency?' GOP slammed as Pelosi recalls learning her husband was brutally bludgeoned - Alternet.org ›
- 'Should not be normalized': Warnings issued after Trump calls Pelosi an 'animal' on eve of election - Alternet.org ›
- 'One country. One destiny': House Speaker Nancy Pelosi steps down from Democratic leadership - Alternet.org ›
- Militia-linked radio host threatens to 'seize all of Mitch McConnell's assets' using Trump order - Alternet.org ›