Mehmet Oz's research tortured and killed over 1,000 animals including more than 300 dogs: report
Doctor Mehmet Oz, the Republican candidate for the United States Senate in Pennsylvania, conducted research at Columbia University in New York City between 1989 and 2010 that resulted in the grisly deaths of over a thousand animals – including more than 300 dogs – according to dozens of studies that were reviewed by Jezebel.
On Monday, the outlet published its findings.
Oz, it revealed, "was a 'principal investigator' at the Columbia University Institute of Comparative Medicine labs for years and assumed 'full scientific, administrative, and fiscal responsibility for the conduct' of his studies. Over the course of 75 studies published in academic journals reviewed by Jezebel, Oz’s team conducted experiments on at least 1,027 live animal subjects that included dogs, pigs, calves, rabbits, and small rodents. Thirty-four of these experiments resulted in the deaths of at least 329 dogs, while two of his experiments killed 31 pigs, and 38 experiments killed 661 rabbits and rodents."
Oz was also alleged back in 2009 to have inflicted "extensive suffering" "on his team’s canine test subjects, including multiple violations of the Animal Welfare Act, which sets minimum standards of care for dogs, cats, primates, rabbits, and other animals in the possession of animal dealers and laboratories. The law specifically requires researchers and breeders to use pain-relieving drugs or euthanasia on the animals, and not use paralytics without anesthesia, or multiple times on the same animal."
The veterinarian whistleblower also accused Oz of "other truly horrifying examples of gratuitously cruel treatment of dogs, including at least one dog who was kept alive for a month for continued experimentation despite her unstable, painful condition, despite how data from her continued experimentation was deemed unusable."
She noted at the time that "one Oz-led study resulted in a litter of puppies being killed by intracardiac injection with syringes of expired drugs inserted in their hearts without any sedation. Upon being killed, the puppies were allegedly left in a garbage bag with living puppies who were their littermates."
- 'Pills' and 'exorcisms': Mehmet Oz's 'miracle cures' targeted in new ... ›
- How Mehmet Oz is scrambling to save his 'floundering' campaign ... ›
- Mehmet Oz has had a 'slow but steady descent into quackery ... ›
- New campaign ad targets Mehmet Oz amid animal abuse allegations - Alternet.org ›
- 'A paid staffer': Dr. Oz outed and criticized for using Black aide as campaign prop - Alternet.org ›
- Dr. Oz relentlessly trolled after wrongfully claiming Pennsylvania borders the Atlantic Ocean - Alternet.org ›
- Do regulations on animal research ensure it is done ethically? What does that even mean? - Alternet.org ›