Donald Trump's 240-page Mar-a-Lago Supreme Court petition went straight to Clarence Thomas
Donald Trump on Tuesday petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene in his classified documents case, and reverse a ruling from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals that allowed the U.S. Dept. of Justice access to the more than 100 classified and top secret documents federal agents recovered from his Mar-a-Lago residence and resort.
Trump is asking the nation’s highest court to order a special master to continue to inspect the 103 classified documents, despite the special master emphatically stating the government, not Trump, gets to decide what is classified and what is not, especially when Trump refused to provide a list of what he considered declassified.
The lawsuit, which is a massive 240 pages, mostly made up of other documents including the now infamous FBI photo of the classified documents on the Mar-a-Lago rug, is addressed to “The Honorable Clarence Thomas, Circuit Justice for the Eleventh Circuit,” and refers to the former president as “President Trump.”
The lawsuit also mentions the contents that federal agents took, including “89 empty envelopes,” while not noting they were classified document envelopes.
“As part of the 11th Circuit’s decision, the panel allowed the criminal investigation to use the seized documents, something [Judge] Cannon had previously barred,” The Washington Post notes. “Trump’s filing seeks only to reverse the appeals court’s ruling on the special master’s access to the documents, not the part of the decision concerning the investigation.”
This is a breaking news and developing story. Details may change.
- Supreme Court allows Dominion's $1.3 billion defamation suit ... ›
- Trump submits Washington Post article to Supreme Court as proof ... ›
- Donald Trump's tyrannical Supreme Court is nothing new - Alternet.org ›
- 'They have their own Mar-a-Lagos': Donald Trump wants the FBI to target 'cartels' instead of himself - Alternet.org ›
- Mar-a-Lago documents inadvertently published online undercut Trump’s privilege claims - Alternet.org ›
- 'Legal loophole': MSNBC’s Hasan explains 'the wonky rule' that could turn Clarence Thomas into Trump’s secret weapon - Alternet.org ›
- Supreme Court chief justice issues temporary stay blocking release of Trump’s tax returns - Alternet.org ›