Donald Trump throws Truth Social tantrum demanding recusal of Mar-a-Lago warrant judge
Former President Donald Trump's legal woes grew on multiple major fronts to kick off the work week, culminating in a post-midnight tantrum on his Twitter-themed Truth Social app.
First came the news that his once-personal attorney, ex-New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, is a target of Fulton County, Georgia District Attorney Fani Willis' criminal probe into Trump World's attempts to overturn the 2020 election and may soon be indicted. Around that same time, Politico reported that Trump's first impeachment defense counsel Eric Herschmann was subpoenaed by a federal grand jury investigating the January 6th, 2021 insurrection at the United States Capitol. A few hours later, The New York Times learned that the Trump Organization's erstwhile Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg entered into a sweetheart plea deal with Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office, gravely imperiling the future of Trump's civil lawsuit-entrenched brand.
Meanwhile, also on Monday afternoon, Trump claimed on Truth Social that the Federal Bureau of Investigation "stole" three of his passports during its execution of a search warrant at his Mar-a-Lago compound in Palm Beach, Florida last Monday. That turned out to be a substantial misrepresentation of the facts.
Then, in the middle of the night, Trump took to Truth Social again where he reiterated his anger over the FBI's judicially sanctioned visit. He suggested that the "unannounced raid" was unfair due to his unprecedented losing popular vote tally in the 2020 election, demanded that the affidavit used to secure the warrant be made public, and proclaimed that Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart of the Southern District of Florida "should recuse" himself from the case:
There is no way to justify the unannounced RAID of Mar-a-Lago, the home of the 45th President of the United States (who got more votes, by far, than any sitting President in the history of our Country!), by a very large number of gun toting FBI Agents, and the Department of 'Justice' but, in the interest of TRANSPARENCY, I call for the immediate release of the completely Unredacted Affidavit pertaining to this horrible and shocking BREAK-IN. Also, the Judge on this case should recuse!
- FBI agents searched Mar-a-Lago for 'classified documents relating ... ›
- Russian propagandists claim Moscow has been 'studying' Mar-a ... ›
- Florida prosecutor sheds light on 'another troubling thing' revealed ... ›
- The FBI's Mar-a-Lago search was Donald Trump's 'Al Capone moment' - Alternet.org ›
- Donald Trump took White House documents because 'he liked cool things' and 'he could': John Bolton - Alternet.org ›
- Judge orders Friday release of redacted Mar-a-Lago search warrant affidavit - Alternet.org ›
- Former intelligence officials warn Mar-a-Lago has become a 'magnet for foreign spies' - Alternet.org ›
- Legal expert: Trump's dealings with Truth Social merger may have violated the law - Alternet.org ›