Donald Trump compares FBI search to Watergate
The FBI on Monday executed a search warrant at Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump‘s Florida home. While there are no details yet on what federal agents are investigating, Trump quickly put out a statement in which he decries the “assault.”
“These are dark times for our Nation,” writes Trump, who since becoming president has likened himself to the entire country, at times declaring an attack on him to be an attack on the United States.
He continues, saying, “my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents.”
“Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before,” which is true, but no president, possibly except Richard Nixon, has been under criminal investigation before.
“After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate,” he claims. Clearly it had ti be approved by the highest levels at not just the FBI – whose director Trump installed – but the Dept. of Justice, likely by Attorney General Merrick Garland or Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco.
“It is prosecutorial misconduct, the weaponization of the Justice System, and an attack by Radical Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for President in 2024, especially based on recent polls, and who will likewise do anything to stop Republicans and Conservatives in the upcoming Midterm Elections.”
“Such an assault could only take place in broken, Third-World Countries,” he claims, using a term that many consider derogatory to developing countries. “Sadly, America has now become one of those Countries, corrupt at a level not seen before. They even broke into my safe! What is the difference between this and Watergate, where operatives broke into the Democrat National Committee? Here, in reverse, Democrats broke into the home of the 45th President of the United States,” Trump falsely claims.
Mother Jones’ David Corn responds to Trump’s “Watergate” comparison.
“Let’s make this simple: the Watergate break-in was a crime conducted by criminals. This raid was conducted by law enforcement officers who are supposed to catch criminals.”
- Here are 4 bombshells from the report of an FBI investigation into ... ›
- Trump was 'waving documents from the boxes' at Mar-a-Lago: report ... ›
- FBI raids on Jeffrey Clark and John Eastman 'could fuel charges ... ›
- Donald Trump calls nuclear documents report a 'hoax' by 'sleazy people' in typo-riddled Truth Social rant - Alternet.org ›
- 'A failing nation!' Donald Trump freaks out ahead of Mar-a-Lago affidavit release - Alternet.org ›
- 'Serious legal water': Why this ex-Trump lawyer believes DOJ’s classified docs probe is connected to Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›