Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade: leaked ruling
On Monday, POLITICO revealed that Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito has already written the opinion that will overturn abortion rights at the federal level in the United States.
"The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. 'Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,' Alito writes," reported Josh Gerstein and Alexander Ward. "'We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,' he writes in the document, labeled as the 'Opinion of the Court.' 'It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.'"
"Deliberations on controversial cases have in the past been fluid. Justices can and sometimes do change their votes as draft opinions circulate and major decisions can be subject to multiple drafts and vote-trading, sometimes until just days before a decision is unveiled. The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months," said the report.
"The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion," continued the report. "It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft."
Several states have already passed varying degrees of abortion bans in anticipation of the court issuing such a ruling.
If issued, the ruling will almost certainly kick off a redoubled flurry of new legislation to restrict abortion rights, as well as counter-legislation from states supportive of abortion rights making it easier for women in affected states to seek relief.
- Commentary: SCOTUS becoming an 'irredeemable partisan muck of ... ›
- A bizarre twist of fate left abortion rights and the 2nd Amendment ... ›
- The Supreme Court's 'credibility' is suffering as John Roberts ... ›
- Susan Collins was dead wrong about Brett Kavanaugh and Roe v. Wade — 'She let us down': journalist - Alternet.org ›
- What just happened? And what comes next? - Alternet.org ›
- Chief Justice Roberts: Leaked opinion overturning Roe is 'authentic' — but it 'does not represent a decision' - Alternet.org ›
- 'My uterus has a question': Ted Cruz harangued for hypocritical reaction to leaked Supreme Court ruling - Alternet.org ›
- WATCH: Samuel Alito hoodwinked the American people about future Supreme Court abortion cases - Alternet.org ›
- Cue the 'pearl-clutching': Lisa Murkowski reaps her vote to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court - Alternet.org ›
- How Samuel Alito laid out a 'sweeping and radical' argument for rolling back a variety of civil liberties - Alternet.org ›
- Violent anti-abortion crusaders accuse Sonia Sotomayor's office of leaking draft Roe opinion - Alternet.org ›
- Law professors anticipate major 'interstate and interjurisdictional conflicts' if Roe v. Wade is overturned - Alternet.org ›
- This draconian anti-abortion bill would charge Louisiana women with homicide for ending a pregnancy - Alternet.org ›
- Overturning Roe is just the beginning - Alternet.org ›
- Why reversing Roe versus Wade would be 'disastrous' for women serving in the military: Navy veteran - Alternet.org ›
- Was Roe versus Wade doomed from the start? - Alternet.org ›
- The Supreme Court’s right-wing supermajority just shredded the separation of church and state: journalist - Alternet.org ›
- Legal expert slams the Supreme Court’s right-wing supermajority for dismantling separation of church and state - Alternet.org ›
- Supreme Court's legal terrorism: Why appealing to 'tradition' on abortion is obscene - Alternet.org ›
- Supreme Court rules for former public high school football coach who prayed on field - Alternet.org ›