Watch: Fox News’ Tucker Carlson makes outrageously false claim that his own words aren’t being used by Russia
Monday night Fox News propagandist Tucker Carlson outright lied on-air, attacking Democratic Congressman Eric Swalwell who accused him of supporting Vladimir Putin and his unlawful war of choice against Ukraine.
Carlson astonishingly denied this was true, brilliantly defusing what countless Fox News viewers heard – both him defending Putin and his war on Ukraine, and that the Kremlin was using those words on Russian TV to defend Putin.
First, here’s how Snopes describes the pro-Putin propaganda Carlson created:
Carlson spent a number of segments criticizing U.S. President Joe Biden and the Ukrainian government, and then often defending Putin, clips that have become fodder for Russian television. On Feb. 17, 2022, for example, he said:''
And of course, they’re promoting war, not to maintain the democracy that is Ukraine. Ukraine is not a democracy. It has never been a democracy in its history and it’s not now. It’s a client state of the Biden administration. It’s a place in which opposition media and opposition political candidates are completely shut down by the government. Is not a democracy at all. And it’s insulting they would suggest otherwise.
Here’s the clip Carlson denies exists:
On Sunday, Russian state TV translated this Tucker Carlson rant: "They're promoting war, not to maintain the democracy that is Ukraine. Ukraine is not a democracy. It has never been a democracy in its history and it's not now. It is a client state of the Biden administration."pic.twitter.com/36fziEks90— Robert Mackey (@Robert Mackey) 1645740249
And here’s Carlson Monday night, showing Congressman Swalwell telling the truth, and Carlson falsely calling it a lie.
Swalwell clip: Trump, Pompeo, and Tucker Carlson are rooting for Russians and that\u2019s being replayed on Russia TV\nTucker: It\u2019s an awful thing to say.. The question is why are they saying it. It doesn\u2019t make sense\u2026pic.twitter.com/Li5k9p7HN9— Acyn (@Acyn) 1646097731
Here’s how he lied:
“You know it’s such an awful thing to say,” Carlson told his loyal viewers, apparently trying to sound innocent and honorable. “We hesitated, even, to play that.”
And then he adds this piece of gaslighting: “It’s very common, you hear it every day.”
You “hear it every day” because it’s true, as the clip above shows.
Finally, for those who need even more convincing, here’s Carlson on Feb. 22, right before Putin started bombing Ukraine:
Tucker opens his show by arguing there's no real reason to "hate" Putinpic.twitter.com/MUgFNvkmuA— nikki mccann ram\u00edrez (@nikki mccann ram\u00edrez) 1645578779
The media has been all over Fox News and Carlson for his pro-Putin propaganda, now that Ukraine appears to be beating the pants off Russia. Here are a few stories:
“Tucker Carlson Hoping We Can Just Forget About All the Times He Insisted Putin Was the Best”
“Late Night Hosts Rip Tucker Carlson’s Segment Praising Putin — Which Was Later Played On Russian TV”
- Matt Gaetz provokes horror by openly embracing Tucker Carlson's ... ›
- Tucker Carlson's 'baseless conspiracy theory' about the Jan. 6 ... ›
- 'You need a little education': GOP lawmaker rips Tucker Carlson to ... ›
- Jennifer Griffin has been Fox News’ voice of reason during the Ukraine crisis: reporter - Alternet.org ›
- Tucker Carlson tries to gaslight his way out of having pushed Putin’s anti-Ukraine propaganda for a month - Alternet.org ›
- Tucker Carlson sparks outrage with attack leveled at SCOTUS nominee Ketjani Jackson - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Tucker Carlson has a bizarre new way of blaming the US for the Russian invasion - Alternet.org ›
- Sean Hannity echoed dangerous Kremlin claim pointing figured about thr Russian-Ukrainian war - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News airs Biden clips 'out of context' to make ageist claim he was lost during Obama’s White House visit - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Tucker Carlson lashes out at 'aging' Republicans 'in their orthopedic shoes' for opposing Vladimir Putin - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Gaslighting Tucker Carlson says 'witch doctors' are 'lying' about NFL player Damar Hamlin's injuries - Alternet.org ›