Twitter fact-checks Ted Cruz after he blames POTUS for gas prices
United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas/Cancun) claimed on Friday that President Joe Biden came into office with the objective of sabotaging American energy production. His remarks came as gas prices around the world soar amid the embargo on fossil fuels from Russia – which he endorsed and supported.
"On energy, we've seen since pretty much the instant Joe Biden became president, we've seen the price of energy going up and up and up. We've seen the price of oil going up and up; we've seen the price of natural gas going up and up; we've seen the price of gasoline going up and up, and that's not a surprise. That is cause and effect," the Senator said on Verdict With Michael Knowles, a right-wing YouTube show. "Biden came in with an aggressive agenda designed to weaken and to cripple domestic energy production."
It\u2019s not a surprise that the price of gas has skyrocketed. \n\nIt\u2019s cause and effect. \n\nBiden came into office with an aggressive agenda to cripple American energy production. \n#Verdict \n\nhttps://youtu.be/kLozr4MPyjE\u00a0pic.twitter.com/z4akchd9pb— Ted Cruz (@Ted Cruz) 1647040380
Cruz's distortion of reality is remarkable but totally on-brand. Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine was the catalyst for the ban on Russian energy imports, however, the United States – a net exporter of energy – only brought in roughly three percent of its oil from Russia.
The true culprit of skyrocketing gas prices is the monopolistic grasp that fossil fuel corporations have on the global energy market. They continue to rake in billions of dollars in record profits while American consumers struggle to pay at the pump.
Biden has also championed investments in renewables (which would make the United States more energy independent and save the planet from climate catastrophe). But Cruz and his right-wing caucus – aided by conservative Democratic Senators Joe "Coal Baron" Manchin of West Viri and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona – have railroaded Biden's policy initiatives. Why? Because they are bankrolled by the very companies that are benefiting from higher energy costs.
Reactions were expectedly harsh.
It\u2019s supply and demand, nice try.pic.twitter.com/5yS3m669Pr— Glenn C \ud83c\udde8\ud83c\udde6\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8\ud83c\uddeb\ud83c\uddf7 (@Glenn C \ud83c\udde8\ud83c\udde6\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8\ud83c\uddeb\ud83c\uddf7) 1647040509
The surprise is how incessantly you lie about Biden.pic.twitter.com/xsGRRQPFEe— \u2696\ufe0f Vaxxed 3x, THEE Extreme Masker (@\u2696\ufe0f Vaxxed 3x, THEE Extreme Masker) 1647040490
Incorrect.\nOil companies saw an opportunity to create artificial inflation and they took it.\nGas prices went up all over the world.\nDuhhhhhh— Sweet\ud83c\udf6fnVenomus\ud83d\udc0d\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6 (@Sweet\ud83c\udf6fnVenomus\ud83d\udc0d\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6) 1647040567
Nope. That\u2019s not it. Try again.— Wyle E Coyote, Super Genius (@Wyle E Coyote, Super Genius) 1647040466
Ask Fled how many corporate sponsors he's reached out to about increasing their domestic production to help drive down gas prices.— BBT \ud83c\udf10 (@BBT \ud83c\udf10) 1647040527
Ted Cruz fails Grade 1 Sciencepic.twitter.com/1dKgxXFgjk— ABBA is not Putin's Puppet (@ABBA is not Putin's Puppet) 1647040554
Remember when the previous admin had to bail out the oil industry because our fuel was worthless on the foreign market?https://readsludge.com/2020/07/15/trump-admin-bails-out-oil-and-gas-companies-that-gave-millions-to-gop-groups/\u00a0\u2026— SOKYJBOY (@SOKYJBOY) 1647040484
Incorrect. The price of gas based on speculation of future supply and demand. Oil companies cut production in 2020 when covid hit and oil hit $20 a barrel. They have yet to increase production, even though the have the ability, and even though we are reducing importation.— Lil 501 (@Lil 501) 1647041206
- Mexican ambassador slams Ted Cruz: At least our politicians accept ... ›
- Ted Cruz diverts resources to 'hero' Canadian truckers for anti-vax ... ›
- Watch: Chris Hayes torches Ted Cruz as he highlights lawmaker's ... ›
- Twitter bludgeons Ted Cruz for medical freedom hypocrisy - Alternet ... ›
- Watch: This video of Ted Cruz getting out of a big rig is the mental health break we need - Alternet.org ›
- How mainstream media echos 'GOP talking points' by blaming Biden for rising gas prices - Alternet.org ›
- Twitter hits Ted Cruz after he accuses Anthony Fauci of being a lawless 'emperor' lusting after power - Alternet.org ›
- Ted Cruz gaslights the country - and himself - about the Capitol insurrection and Supreme Court protests - Alternet.org ›
- A 'vile person and hypocrite': Ted Cruz slams GOP lawmakers for sucking up to Trump and Twitter users let him have it - Alternet.org ›
- Supreme Court hands Ted Cruz lucrative $555,000 win by declaring campaign finance rule violates free speech - Alternet.org ›