'Atrocity!': Ukrainian president decries Russian attack on maternity hospital
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is accusing Russia of launching a “direct strike” on a Ukrainian maternity hospital in a video he posted to social media denouncing the “atrocity.” Multiple news outlets and even foreign leaders are confirming the attack.
“Direct strike of Russian troops at the maternity hospital” in Mariupol, the Ukrainian President said on Twitter. “People, children are under the wreckage. Atrocity!”
As usual, he did not reserve his anger just for Russia or its President, Vladimir Putin, but demanded the rest of the world come to Ukraine’s aid, including initiating a no-fly zone over his country.
“How much longer will the world be an accomplice ignoring terror? Close the sky right now! Stop the killings! You have power but you seem to be losing humanity.”
“The destruction is enormous,” the city council of Mariupol said, CNN reports. “The building of the medical facility where the children were treated recently is completely destroyed. Information on casualties is being clarified,” the council added.
CNN adds a “city administration building and a university in Mariupol” were also bombed.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson responded to the bombing:
CNN adds that the “World Health Organization (WHO) has verified 18 attacks on health care facilities in Ukraine so far, Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.”
- Vladimir Putin's assault on Ukraine is rooted in antisemitism ... ›
- 'We will not lay down any weapons': Ukraine persists as Kyiv under ... ›
- 'I work and I sleep': Volodymyr Zelenskyy's evolution from entertainer ... ›
- Estonia becomes first NATO ally to demand no-fly zone over Ukraine - Alternet.org ›
- Russian Foreign Minister admits troops deliberately targeted civilian hospital - Alternet.org ›