John Eastman wrote another 'election subversion memo' — this time for Wisconsin: report
Throughout much of U.S. history, the types of things that Republican attorney and Donald Trump ally John C. Eastman did following the 2020 presidential election would have been unthinkable. Eastman wrote an infamous memo in which he laid out a plan for overturning the election results and keeping now-President Joe Biden, who legitimately won the election, out of the White House.
Now, according to Rolling Stone’s Washington, D.C bureau chief, Andy Kroll, Eastman is arguing for decertifying the election results in Wisconsin. And one of the far-right MAGA Republicans who is very much in favor of that is Wisconsin State Rep. Timothy Ramthun.
In an article published by Rolling Stone on February 6, Kroll reports, “Nowhere is this crusade to subvert the 2020 election result more on display than in Wisconsin. Even though Republicans there do not control all the levers of power — the governor, Tony Evers, is a Democrat — they have launched a multi-front effort to cast doubt on the 2020 election, intimidate local officials, and, in Ramthun’s case, throw out the state’s presidential-election result.”
SCOOP: John Eastman is still writing election-subversion memos.\n\nYou know Eastman for his memos claiming V.P. Pence could block Biden's win.\n\nIn Dec. 2021, Eastman wrote an 8-pg memo for a WI lawmaker AGAIN arguing for decertification.\n\nI obtained the memohttps://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-wisconsin-eastman-election-decertification-1295191/\u00a0\u2026— Andy Kroll (@Andy Kroll) 1644259661
Kroll notes that Ramthun is not universally loved by Republicans in Wisconsin.
“In Wisconsin, as in other states, the energy in the conservative movement burns hottest among those voters who believe the Republican-controlled Legislature should empower people like Ramthun and throw out Biden’s 2020 victory,” Kroll explains. “Moderate Republicans have responded by ostracizing Ramthun or blasting their party’s descent into a post-fact cult of conspiracy theorists.”
But Ramthun, according to Kroll, has an ally in Eastman.
“Ramthun…. received an eight-page analysis from John Eastman, the same lawyer who wrote the infamous memos arguing for how (Vice President Mike) Pence could overturn the election result on January 6, 2021,” Kroll writes. “Eastman’s memo for Ramthun, dated December 30, 2021, argues that if there was ‘acknowledged illegality’ in an election, then the result of that election was rendered null and the State Legislature had the power to pick the electors ‘as it sees fit.’”
Kroll interviewed Evers for his article, and the Democratic Wisconsin governor lamented that MAGA Republicans in his state have been tireless in their assault on voting rights.
Evers told Kroll, “This is an all-hands-on-deck moment here. If I weren’t able to veto bills without the Republicans overriding my veto, we’d be Georgia right now. We’d be Texas. We’d be Arizona.”
Kroll warns that the MAGA campaign against voting rights in Wisconsin will only grow worse if Evers isn’t reelected in the 2022 midterms.
“The threat to democracy in Wisconsin isn’t coming from a lawless election commission, hacked voting machines, or illegal ballots coming out of nursing homes,” Kroll writes. “It comes from a political party that united around suspicions and lies, and sought to bend reality to its will. Wisconsin is more than a laboratory for new policies and bold ideas; it’s a trial for whether democracy can survive at all.”
- Scathing new report sheds light on the most shocking aspect of John ... ›
- Court orders Eastman to cough up records on Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- Jan. 6 committee wins big as John Eastman loses fight to hide ... ›
- Author of infamous Jan. 6 memo asserts attorney-client privilege over docs requested by House investigators - Alternet.org ›
- John Eastman’s keyword list prior to the Jan. 6 insurrection adds fuel to House panel investigation: report - Alternet.org ›
- John Eastman and Donald Trump committed crimes. Roger Stone knew about them - Alternet.org ›
- John Eastman ties to Clarence Thomas scrutinized after Ginni Thomas election text revelations: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Coup in search of a legal theory': Judge delivers damning rebuke — orders Eastman to hand over docs - Alternet.org ›
- The Jan. 6 committee has obtained 'cache of emails' that John Eastman fought to keep secret - Alternet.org ›
- California state bar investigating lawyer who authored memo on how to overturn the 2020 election - Alternet.org ›
- Election 'theft' attorney to hand 10,000 Trump-connected emails over to Jan. 6th committee - Alternet.org ›