‘Do you realize you’re describing a coup?’ Peter Navarro gets schooled during train wreck MSNBC interview
Former Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro appeared on MSNBC on Tuesday night to explain his plan to overturn President Joe Biden's victory — "dubbed the Green Bay sweep."
It didn't go well for Navarro.
Asked by host Ari Melber to explain the "Green Bay sweep," Navarro claimed he compiled a report beginning in late November 2020 that "proved that the election was in all likelihood stolen through fraud and election irregularities."
"That's false!" Melber responded, cutting off Navarro. "The question is, what was the plan itself and who was in on it?"
Navarro went on to explain that 100 GOP lawmakers were prepared to "implement the sweep," by challenging the election results in six battleground states on Jan. 6.
Melber eventually cut him off again.
"You just described this plan as a way to take an election where the outcome was established by independent secretaries of state, by the voters of those states, and legal remedies had been exhausted, with the Supreme Court never even taking let alone siding with any of the claims you just referred to," Melber said. "So legally they went nowhere. Then, you will use the incumbent losing party's power — that was the Republican Party that was losing power — to overtake and reverse that outcome. Do you realize you're describing a coup?"
Navarro denied Melber's allegation, claiming that some secretaries of state "were put in power by George Soros with the express purpose of shifting the playing field."
"We were following the Constitution and rules of the Senate to simply get a recount of what the votes were," Navarro claimed.
Melber then noted that Trump adviser Steve Bannon is "risking going to jail rather than just provide testimony about" the plan to overturn the election.
"You by contrast are describing it in your book, some of the same stuff," Melber said. "I don't know what he's afraid of that you're not. But when you describe in your book a system where after all the legal remedies are exhausted, the people who lost just make noise and say that they won and seize power, don't you understand that if that actually were the system, it would be dumb and dangerous?"
"We have an entire system designed to thwart — and I want to say this respectfully, but it's the truth — people like you," Melber added. "To stop people like you who think that you can anoint themselves the reviewers of the voters, of the American people, of what they lawfully did, that you trump the Supreme Court. People like you are what the Constituions is designed to stop, and it worked, it did stop you."
Watch the full interview in two parts below.
Peter Navarro on MSNBC www.youtube.com
Peter Navarro on MSNBC, Part II www.youtube.com
- Georgia election officials debunk Trump's claim that 5,000 dead ... ›
- 'You were the hero of Jan. 6!' Peter Navarro inadvertently implicates ... ›
- Peter Navarro reveals new shocking detail about his and Steve ... ›
- Watch: Peter Navarro torched by Ari Melber after claiming he only saw 'peaceful people' on Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- Navarro won't talk to Jan. 6 probe — but another Trump White House official will - Alternet.org ›
- 'One step closer to a jail cell': Former federal prosecutor says Peter Navarro's MSNBC interview went 'very badly' - Alternet.org ›
- Peter Navarro abruptly cancels MSNBC interview amid vote to bring contempt charges against him - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: MSNBC’s Ari Melber torches Tucker Carlson — and highlights the only case where he makes excuses for mass shooters - Alternet.org ›
- FBI serves subpoena to Trump advisor Peter Navarro — 'Big Lie' promoter ordered to testify before grand jury - Alternet.org ›
- 'Entitled drama queen' Peter Navarro lambasted on social media after whining about his treatment in police custody - Alternet.org ›