Trump's early COVID-19 response even more politicized than previously thought: new documents
Documents released Friday reveal how in early 2020 the Trump administration downplayed the deadly danger posed by the nascent Covid-19 pandemic, silencing and sidelining top health officials who tried to warn the public and destroying evidence of political interference while issuing rosy declarations that the outbreak was "totally under control" and would soon be over.
The emails and transcripts—released by the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis—show that as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) became aware that the highly infectious virus that causes Covid-19 was spreading rapidly, agency officials requested to hold briefings about mask guidance and other issues. Their requests were denied.
Top Trump officials also moved to block the CDC from publishing information about the pandemic and tried to alter the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWRs) to reflect former President Donald Trump's unrealistically optimistic Covid-19 messaging—which infamously included such claims in January and February 2020 as "we have it totally under control," that the outbreak is "going to have a very good ending," and that infections would "be down close to zero" with days.
- Alarm grows as COVID cases spike in Europe and US deaths in 2021 top 2020’s toll - Alternet.org ›
- Anthony Fauci breaks down why a new COVID-19 variant is 'raising some concern' - Alternet.org ›
- CIA releases detailed report about what it was like to give Trump infrequent 'presidential daily briefing' - Alternet.org ›
- Reporter reveals how Trump exposed 'potentially hundreds of people' to COVID before first presidential debate - Alternet.org ›
- Former federal prosecutor insists we'll see 'a tidal wave of criminal charges against Donald Trump' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Unprecedented political interference': Bombshell House report finds Trump Admin 'undermined' COVID response - Alternet.org ›
- Americans are suffering from 2 pandemics — COVID, and the sinister right-wing plague that fuels it - Alternet.org ›
- Former top FBI official says proving intent in possible Trump classified document crime a 'slam dunk' - Alternet.org ›