Ocasio-Cortez heckles Kevin McCarthy when he says 'Nobody elected Joe Biden to be FDR'
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was among those who shouted backed overnight during the historic and "unhinged" marathon speech by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy when the Republican from California stated that there was no person in the country who voted for President Joe Biden last year who did so because they hoped he would act like former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who ushered through the 20th century New Deal.
Quoting a recent comment from Rep. Abigail Spannberger (D-Va.) during his speech in order to argue that Democrats are misguided to make sweeping social investments as part of their Build Back Better Act—which received a final vote in the House on Friday morning—McCarthy stated, "Nobody elected Joe Biden to be FDR."
From the gallery in response, a voice can be heard responding, "I did." Later it was confirmed that this was Ocasio-Cortez.
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, quoting a moderate Democrat, argues against Dems' Build Back Better Act by saying "nobody elected Joe Biden to be FDR."
Two Dem congresswomen shout back:
"Me too." pic.twitter.com/zhOQVi7V9X
— The Recount (@therecount) November 19, 2021
After Ocasio-Cortez's exclamation, someone else in the gallery responded, "Me too."
"Effective heckling is a lost art, but AOC managed to silence McCarthy for at least a few seconds." noted The Intercept's Robert Mackey.
In total, McCarthy spoke for eight hours and 32 minutes before finally ending his roundly criticized antics just after 5:00 am Friday.
- AOC fires back at 'creepy' Paul Gosar for posting disturbing anime ... ›
- 'Biology 101': AOC torches Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for misinformed ... ›
- Ocasio-Cortez gives an impassioned speech blasting Kevin ... ›
- All Republicans care about these days is trolling — and Kevin McCarthy is hilariously bad at it - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans vow revenge against Democrats if — or when — they regain power in Washington - Alternet.org ›
- Kevin McCarthy whines: AOC and other Dems tried to 'shut me down' by 'heckling' during 8-hour floor speech - Alternet.org ›