Biden DOJ to sue Texas over abortion ban: WSJ
The U.S. Dept. of Justice is finalizing plans to sue the State of Texas over Gov. Greg Abbott's abortion ban, which some legal experts have called unconstitutional.
"The Justice Department is expected to pursue an argument that the Texas law illegally interferes with federal interests," the Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday night, adding the lawsuit could be filed "as soon as Thursday."
Pressure from Democrats on Attorney General Merrick Garland has been strong, with many noting the U.S. Supreme Court's 5-4 decision to not block the law effectively killed Roe v. Wade, at least in Texas. Other states are already drafting similar legislation.
The Journal adds that legal experts said the DOJ could attempt "to strip federal funding" from Texas and is "trying to determine whether there are federal facilities within the state that could provide abortions."
- Trump's DOJ targeted a Devin Nunes critic — but Biden's DOJ ... ›
- Biden DOJ promises to 'vigorously' defend religious schools' 'right' to ... ›
- Biden DOJ moves to block release of memo on why Trump was not ... ›
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a hilarious response after Sarah Palin criticized her feminism - Alternet.org ›
- DOJ files for an emergency order to block the Texas abortion ban - Alternet.org ›