Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slams Joe Manchin over 'that young lady' comment: 'Weird, patronizing behavior'
The progressive and centrist wings of the Democratic Party continue having testy policy debates — and this tension is evident in the war of words between Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York City and Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia over infrastructure. Ocasio-Cortez favors a $3.5 trillion infrastructure package, while Manchin believes that $3.5 trillion is way too much. And the 31-year-old Ocasio-Cortez recently tweeted that she knows she's having an impact in the debate after the 74-year-old Manchin referred to her as "that young lady" rather than "congresswoman."
Ocasio-Cortez is a self-described "democratic socialist" and a close ally of Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, while Manchin — along with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona — are among the most conservative Democrats in the U.S. Senate. And in the U.S., the Democratic infighting between Manchin and AOC shows that Democrats have wildly different views on what an infrastructure bill should look like.
Guardian reporter Lauren Gambino explains, "Joe Biden's economic agenda depends on Democrats' ability to overcome such internal divisions and enact what would be the largest expansion of the social safety net in generations. Manchin is among the chief obstacles to passing the mooted $3.5tn package. He has said he would not support legislation with such a high price tag. His opposition has placed the bill in peril in the Senate, where it already faces an uphill battle in a chamber split 50-50, while drawing the ire of progressives — who see the $3.5tn plan as a compromise on their ambitions to reshape the US economy."
During a September 12 appearance on CNN, Manchin responded to AOC's assertion that he meets with oil industry lobbyists every week.
Manchin told CNN, "I keep my door open for everybody. It's totally false. And those types of superlatives, it's just awful. Continue to divide, divide, divide. I don't know that young lady that well. I really don't. She's just speculating and saying things."
In a September 12 tweet, AOC posted:
In Washington, I usually know my questions of power are getting somewhere when the powerful stop referring to me as \u201cCongresswoman\u201d and start referring to me as \u201cyoung lady\u201d instead— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1631496317
Imagine if every time someone referred to someone as \u201cyoung lady\u201d they were ask responded to by being addressed with their age and gender? They\u2019d be pretty upset if one responded with \u201cthe old man,\u201d right? Why this kind of weird, patronizing behavior is so accepted is beyond me!— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) 1631496947
Still happens to me. I\u2019m in my 60s. Always good to know when you\u2019re getting to them.— Joyce Alene (@Joyce Alene) 1631536109
At my age, I'm thrilled to be called young anything!— Jill Wine-Banks (@Jill Wine-Banks) 1631546910
- 'Global warming is upon us': Extreme weather strengthens calls to ... ›
- Progressives demand more for climate action and healthcare as ... ›
- Ted Cruz slammed infrastructure plan as 'reckless' — after trying to ... ›
- DC lobbyists are going to great lengths to influence Joe Manchin and ‘see inside his head’: report - Alternet.org ›
- Journalists break down Manchin’s 'considerable financial interests' in fossil fuels - Alternet.org ›
- ‘You got a problem?': Joe Manchin gets suddenly defensive when asked about his fossil fuel interests - Alternet.org ›
- Sanders hits Manchin over demand to drop child, Medicare provisions: 'Explain that to the people of West Virginia' - Alternet.org ›
- Tension mounts as far-right GOPers blame Republican colleagues for giving 'Joe Biden a win' on infrastructure - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez unloads on Joe Manchin for killing Build Back Better bill - Alternet.org ›
- Advocates say 'hell no' as Manchin pitches social security deal with GOP - Alternet.org ›