Why Kristi Noem now joins the ranks of Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis as one of America’s 'worst governors'
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis are often slammed by Democrats for being among the United States' worst Republican governors when it comes to dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. But Abbott and DeSantis have some major competition from South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem now that two of the fastest growing counties for COVID-19 infections are in her state.
Bloomberg News' Steven Dennis, noting New York Times data on new COVID-19 infections, tweeted:
Sturgis ended 9 days ago. Today, 2 of the 3 fastest growing counties in the United States of America for COVID ca… https://t.co/Bfl5SVSgRd— Steven Dennis (@Steven Dennis) 1629814239.0
South Dakota is now #1 among states in COVID case growth in the past 14 days. North Dakota is #3. Both, like last… https://t.co/LWLqjXUfwk— Steven Dennis (@Steven Dennis) 1629814699.0
The Sturgis that Dennis is referring to is the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, held annually in Sturgis, South Dakota. In both 2020 and 2021, Noem encouraged that crowded event without imposing social distancing restrictions. Health experts feared that Sturgis 2021 would be a superspreader event, and as Dennis noted, COVID-19 is now surging rapidly in Meade County (where the Sturgis event is held) and Lawrence County.
@TheUSASingers humorously tweeted:
Ron DeSantis: I’m the worst governor of all! Greg Abbott: Nah bro, check me out. Kristi Noem: Hold my beer.— The USA Singers (@The USA Singers) 1629765242.0
Not all Republican governors have dropped the ball when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic. Massachusetts' Charlie Baker, Vermont's Phil Scott and Maryland's Larry Hogan are Republicans, and all of them have been quite proactive when it comes to public health measures and encouraging masks, vaccinations and social distancing. But Baker, Scott and Hogan are not MAGA Republicans, whereas DeSantis, Abbott and Noem are — and the Texas, Florida and South Dakota governors have all discouraged social distancing, showing that they are more interested in "owning the liberals" than protecting residents of their state from COVID-19's highly infectious Delta variant.
- COVID-19 is on its way to becoming a predominantly Republican ... ›
- Far-right anti-vaxxer Republican laughed at COVID-19 only 5 days ... ›
- Economist Paul Krugman: Republicans are playing politics with ... ›
- South Dakota COVID cases explode after Sturgis motorcycle rally - Alternet.org ›
- DeSantis is failing Florida on COVID-19. New polling shows Floridians know it - Alternet.org ›
- Far-right Mississippi governor slammed for claim Christians fear COVID less because they 'believe in eternal life' - Alternet.org ›
- GOP strategist skeptical of DeSantis' risky appeal to conservatives - Alternet.org ›