Far-right anti-vaxxer Republican laughed at COVID-19 only 5 days before dying from it
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic — which, according to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, has now killed more than 4.2 million people worldwide — far-right MAGA Republicans in the United States have downplayed the severity of the crisis and railed against everything from protective face masks to social distancing measures. In Texas, one such MAGA Republican was H. Scott Apley, who died of COVID-19 on Wednesday morning, August 4, according to a GoFundMe page that was set up by his family.
Apley, who was 45, was a member of the city council in Dickinson, Texas near Galveston and a member of the Texas GOP's executive committee. Daily Beast reporter Justin Rohrlich notes that Apley "regularly espoused anti-vaccine and anti-mask views online" — and that he was mocking the dangers of COVID-19 only five days before his death.
Apley, according to Rohrlich, was admitted to a hospital in Galveston with pneumonia-like symptoms, and his wife was infected with COVID-19 as well.
The GoFundMe page reads, "He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID-positive, as well as their infant son Reid. Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period."
In a Facebook post, Dickinson Mayor Sean Skipworth said of Apley's death, "My heart is beyond broken for his family. Scott was a new father, and that makes this loss especially tragic."
Apley was known for being in-your-face with his anti-vaccine, anti-mask views. On May 3 on Facebook, Apley linked to an article about incentives for COVID-19 vaccines and wrote, "Disgusting."
On May 15, Apley posted, on Facebook, an invitation to a "mask burning" at a bar in Cincinnati, Ohio and wrote, "I wish I lived in the area!" Apley was a vehement critic of vaccine passports, which confirm that one has been vaccinated for COVID-19. Apley compared mask mandates to Naziism in Germany during the 1930s, and when former Baltimore Health Commissioner Leana Wen celebrated the efficacy of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine in an April 1 tweet, Apley responded, "You are an absolute enemy of a free people."
Great news from Pfizer this morning! Their #covid19 #vaccine is efficacious for at least 6 months. Appears to work… https://t.co/vnpTvRYMhq— Leana Wen, M.D. (@Leana Wen, M.D.) 1617278288.0
@DrLeanaWen You are an absolute enemy of a free people. #ShoveTheCarrotWhereTheSunDontShine.— H Scott Apley (@H Scott Apley) 1617407695.0
Apley is not the first anti-vaxxer on the right to become infected with COVID-19. After expressing anti-vaxxer views, Nashville-based radio host Phil Valentine was hospitalized with COVID-19 and has been fighting for his life; according to his brother Mark Valentine, Phil Valentine now regrets not getting vaccinated.
- 'Because we're a strong conservative family': A dad with Covid ... ›
- This maniacal anti-vaccine quote highlights the GOP's embrace of ... ›
- The inherent racism of anti-vaxx movements - Alternet.org ›
- 'Male MAGA mouths': Conservative explains how anti-vaxxers are spreading the COVID Delta variant - Alternet.org ›
- GOP congressman gives a confusing answer when asked if he's vaccinated: 'I don’t like taking sides' - Alternet.org ›
- Ohio Senate candidate slammed for encouraging people to go to work sick during a pandemic: 'Ignorance and stupidity' - Alternet.org ›
- Hilarious video shows how low-information anti-vaxxers can be: ‘I try not to argue facts’ - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxers are becoming increasingly unhinged and 'violent': report - Alternet.org ›
- 'I don't like being told what I have to do': Libertarian explains vaccine refusal as he struggles to breathe - Alternet.org ›
- Why Kristi Noem now joins the ranks of Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis as one of America’s 'worst governors' - Alternet.org ›
- The tragic timeline of an anti-vaxxer's COVID death - Alternet.org ›
- 'As if natural selection was trying to make a point': Conservative maps out the right-wingers who denied COVID — even as they died from it - Alternet.org ›
- 'A device to enslave children': Anti-mask Florida father rants to school board about the ‘deep state' - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Scathing video slams far-right MAGA anti-vaxxers as 'phony populists' who prey on 'suffering suckers' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Abbott has failed us': Doctors lash out at Texas GOP for reckless COVID-19 policies 'that are killing their fellow Texans' - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan gets a badly needed fact-check after claiming that 'vaccine mandates are un-American' - Alternet.org ›
- QAnon Republican known for coronavirus denial is now hospitalized with COVID-19: 'He’s pretty darned sick' - Alternet.org ›
- 'No time for idiots': Howard Stern slams Joe Rogan for taking 'horse dewormer' instead of COVID-19 vaccine - Alternet.org ›
- Right-wing commissioner snaps after reporter points out her anti-vaccine resolution is toothless: 'That is treasonous' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Wasted so much time': Trinidad health minister slams Nicki Minaj for bogus vaccine claims - Alternet.org ›
- Inside the bizarro alternate universe of a closed Facebook group for anti-vaxxers - Alternet.org ›
- This right-wing Breitbart writer thinks Democrats are using ‘reverse psychology’ to kill Trump voters - Alternet.org ›
- Far-right anti-vaxxer who contracted COVID launches massive obscenity-laden tirade against the left - Alternet.org ›
- A far-right ‘MAGA medical group’ has filed a lawsuit against the Pentagon’s vaccine mandate: report - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham gets shouted down by his fellow Republicans at South Carolina event - Alternet.org ›
- This 42-year-old athlete tragically refused to get vaccinated for COVID-19 — before dying from it - Alternet.org ›
- 'Incredibly irresponsible': GOP rep slammed for claiming new COVID strain is a Democratic plot - Alternet.org ›
- A Maine Republican who fought COVID-19 restrictions and lost his wife to the disease has resigned - Alternet.org ›
- Fact checker blasts Jim Jordan for ‘absurd’ claim that ‘real America’ is ‘over COVID’ - Alternet.org ›
- Paul Krugman argues the GOP is 'pro-COVID' and is trying to 'keep the pandemic going' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Boomer-level annoying': MAGA World is tearing itself apart over Trump’s support of the COVID vaccine - Alternet.org ›
- How the right-wing exploited the coronavirus pandemic to expand its war on freedom - Alternet.org ›