This Wisconsin Republican railed against mask and vaccine mandates — now he has COVID-19
It's a sad and all-too-familiar story: a MAGA Republican downplays the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic, railing against masks, social distancing and/or vaccines — only to become seriously ill with COVID-19. A recent example is Wisconsin State Sen. André Jacque, who was an outspoken anti-masker and was "at a hospital" this week suffering from pneumonia — according to the Associated Press.
AP reporter Scott Bauer explains, "One of the Wisconsin Legislature's most conservative lawmakers and a vocal opponent of mask and vaccine mandates has tested positive for COVID-19." Jacque, Bauer notes, "didn't wear a mask" when he recently "testified at a packed Capitol hearing."
According to Bauer, "Jacque hasn't responded to a text message seeking comment, but in an e-mail sent by his spokesman, he says some of his family members also tested positive."
Earlier this week, Jacque told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Unfortunately, I am now at the hospital with pneumonia, which I have had previously."
Wisconsin State Sen. Kelda Roys, a Democrat, tweeted:
So predictable. Selfish, irresponsible, dangerous behavior like THIS is why I fear for my kids when they return to… https://t.co/XE7ilj6CjS— Kelda Roys 😷💉 (@Kelda Roys 😷💉) 1629208069.0
In an official statement, Democratic Wisconsin State Sen. Chris Larson was highly critical of Jacque for putting others at risk — saying, "I hope Sen. Jacque and his family have a full recovery. I also hope others are spared from his irresponsible, selfish behavior and that any people he exposed to COVID or directly infected are taking precautions to stop the spread of this virus."
Larson added, "On Wednesday, there was a Joint Senate and Assembly Education Committee meeting…. At the same time, Republicans exposed themselves and the public to the very real and deadly threat they continue to ignore, downplay, and let run rampant. Sen. Andre Jacque presented his bill. He did not wear a mask while speaking or while waiting to speak."
- BUSTED: 7 'charlatans' -- from anti-vaxxers to anti-maskers -- who ... ›
- Dallas school superintendent issues mask order in defiance of Greg ... ›
- Nancy Pelosi loses her patience over Kevin McCarthy's anti-masker ... ›
- A Wisconsin Republican's bewildering vaccine claim reveals how racism has warped the GOP - Alternet.org ›
- 'No more masks!': Louisiana school board meeting shuts down as attendees create disorder - Alternet.org ›
- 'This is America': Arizona anti-masker tells school board 'the science is ridiculous' — parents applaud - Alternet.org ›