'It's a crime. So is insurrection’: Steve Schmidt slams anti-vax Republican's 'BS' support of not vaccinating military
Lincoln Project co-founder Steve Schmidt blasted U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) for announcing he supports members of the United States military who are threatening to "quit" if they are required to be vaccinated against the coronavirus.
"I've been contacted by members of our voluntary military who say they will quit if the COVID vaccine is mandated," said Congressman Massie, who has degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and has suggested he is a science expert while calling climate change "pseudo science."
"I introduced HR 3860 to prohibit any mandatory requirement that a member of the Armed Forces receive a vaccination against COVID-19. It now has 24 sponsors," he tweeted.
Federal law allows employers to require vaccinations for their employees. Since the days of General George Washington America's military has required recruits to be vaccinated, so adding a vaccine for one of the most dangerous and deadly viruses on earth is a logical extension of those requirements.
A fully-vaccinated U.S. Military fighting force is also a matter of national security.
Schmidt blasted Massie, reminding him that "quitting" the military is called "desertion," and noting it is illegal.
"Let me help you with some concepts," Schmidt replied. "Quitting the military is called desertion. It's a crime. So is insurrection. You are a leader in the poisoning of American democracy with lies and conspiracies. Now you have targeted the rank and file of the US Armed Forces with your Bullshit."
Let me help you with some concepts. Quitting the military is called desertion. It’s a crime. So is insurrection. Y… https://t.co/5jty14xfUb— Steve Schmidt (@Steve Schmidt) 1625508765.0
Some consider Massie a supporter of Donald Trump's January 6 insurrection.
"They were protesting," Massie said in June of the insurrectionists. "And I don't approve of the way they protested, but it wasn't an insurrection."
In September of 2020 Rep. Massie voted against a House resolution resolution "reaffirming the House of Representatives' commitment to the orderly and peaceful transfer of power called for in the Constitution of the United States." He also supports Donald Trump's lie that the election was stolen via fraud.
- Anti-vaxxers are wearing Yellow Stars of David to protest ... ›
- Gwyneth Paltrow's anti-vaxxer ally comes under fire for 'discredited ... ›
- Tucker Carlson says COVID vaccines are 'anti-white' as anti-vaxxers ... ›
- State Rep. Bill Kidd joked that he didn't get a vaccine because he’s a Republican — now he has COVID - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxer warns doctors and nurses of execution by hanging for administering life-saving vaccines - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative writer lays out the distinct parallels between anti-vaxxers and the Capitol rioters - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxers are engaging in the same 'freedom-destroying nanny statism they're supposed to be against': conservative - Alternet.org ›
- Top military officials on mandating vaccine: 'We are responsible for each other's health and safety' - Alternet.org ›
- The thoughtless privilege of America's vaccine refusers - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxers are becoming increasingly unhinged and 'violent': report - Alternet.org ›
- 'As if natural selection was trying to make a point': Conservative maps out the right-wingers who denied COVID — even as they died from it - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-vaxxers shut down Georgia vaccination event - Alternet.org ›