Feds arrest close Trump ally Tom Barrack on charges of an illegal foreign influence campaign in 2016: report
Barrack served as then-President Donald Trump's chairman of his 2017 inaugural fund. The charges are not believed to be related to that fund.
"Few people are closer to Trump than Barrack, his friend for three decades," an October, 2017 Washington Post article said of Barrack.
"Barrack as Barrack helped rescue Trump's real estate empire years ago. He was the top fundraiser for Trump's 2016 presidential campaign. He turned down a Cabinet offer, preferring to be an outside adviser, although his name is still mentioned as a potential White House chief of staff should Trump decide to choose a new one. Above all, Barrack has remained unfailingly loyal to Trump, whom he sees as a shrewd politician."
NBC's Tom Winter reports charges include acting as an "agent" of a foreign government, "influencing the foreign policy positions of the Trump campaign in 2016" and lying to the FBI:
UPDATED: The Justice Department says that Barrack has been charged with acting as an agent of the United Arab Emira… https://t.co/XGMJ5nhZ8J— Tom Winter (@Tom Winter) 1626807043.0
- Ivanka Trump deposed in DC attorney general's inauguration ... ›
- Leading psychologists explain how Trump's self-delusions and ... ›
- Emails reveal Melania friend who planned Trump inauguration ... ›
- Former federal prosecutor explains why the case against Trump ally Tom Barrack is so damning - Alternet.org ›
- Trump's allies are begging the vaccinated ex-president to run a pro-vax campaign. He's still refusing: report - Alternet.org ›
- Jared Kushner ally who got last-minute Trump pardon gets charged with crimes again - Alternet.org ›