Nancy Pelosi loses her patience over Kevin McCarthy's anti-masker claims: 'He's such a moron'
With the Delta variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus surging in the United States — especially in red states with large numbers of unvaccinated Americans — Capitol physician Brian Monahan is reinstituting a mask mandate for the U.S. House of Representatives. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is honoring that mandate, but House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, pandering to the GOP's MAGA base, is opposed. And when Speaker Nancy Pelosi was asked about McCarthy's opposition, she had some scathing words for the California congressman.
In Washington, D.C. on July 28, reporters asked Pelosi about the mask requirement as she was getting ready to enter an SUV. Pelosi told reporters, "That's the purview of the Capitol physician.... the mandate from him. I have nothing to say about that except we honor it."
NBC News reporter Frank Thorp told Pelosi, "Leader McCarthy says it's against the science" — and before getting into the vehicle, a frustrated Pelosi responded, "He's such a moron."
When asked by @frankthorp about @GOPLeader’s criticism of the mask mandate being reinstated in the House,… https://t.co/HkHpoCCqGa— Daniella Diaz (@Daniella Diaz) 1627481724.0
On July 27, McCarthy had tweeted, "Make no mistake — The threat of bringing masks back is not a decision based on science, but a decision conjured up by liberal government officials who want to continue to live in a perpetual pandemic state."
- New report reveals how unvaccinated Arkansas is facing a delta ... ›
- 'Sellout': Ron DeSantis faces backlash from anti-vax extremists as ... ›
- COVID-19 is on its way to becoming a predominantly Republican ... ›
- Dallas school superintendent issues mask order in defiance of Greg Abbott: A 'necessary safety protocol' - Alternet.org ›
- This Wisconsin Republican railed against mask and vaccine mandates — now he has COVID-19 - Alternet.org ›
- 'No more masks!': Louisiana school board meeting shuts down as attendees create disorder - Alternet.org ›
- Ohio Senate candidate slammed for encouraging people to go to work sick during a pandemic: 'Ignorance and stupidity' - Alternet.org ›
- QAnon Republican known for coronavirus denial is now hospitalized with COVID-19: 'He’s pretty darned sick' - Alternet.org ›
- Employer of anti-masker caught on camera coughing on supermarket shoppers says they are 'investigating' - Alternet.org ›
- Employer of anti-masker who 'deliberately' coughed on supermarket shoppers announces she 'no longer works' there - Alternet.org ›
- Scathing memo offers blueprint for attacking 'extremist' Republicans on COVID-19: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Shut up!': Tennessee student gets heckled by anti-maskers while describing his grandmother’s Covid death - Alternet.org ›
- 'Look at me!' Anti-masker repeatedly yells at school board president – then screams about 'Nuremberg trials' - Alternet.org ›
- Anti-mask FL GOP bookkeeper dies of COVID — and leaves party without access to finance software - Alternet.org ›