Rudy Giuliani hatched Trump’s ‘big lie’ on Election Night after 'drinking too much': new book
A new book appears to detail the genesis of former president Donald Trump's "big lie," in which he has falsely claimed that he won the November 2020 election.
The Washington Post on Tuesday morning published an excerpt from the book, "I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year," by Carol D. Leonnig and Philip Rucker.
According to the excerpt, the big lie was effectively started by Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, who had set up his own command post inside the White House on Election Night.
"After a while, Rudy Giuliani started to cause a commotion," according to the book. "He was telling other guests that he had come up with a strategy for Trump and was trying to get into the president's private quarters to tell him about it. Some people thought Giuliani may have been drinking too much and suggested to (campaign manager Bill) Stepien that he go talk to the former New York mayor. Stepien, (chief of staff Mark) Meadows and Jason Miller took Giuliani down to a room just off the Map Room to hear him out."
In that meeting, Giuliani reportedly went state by state asking Stepien, Meadows and Miller about the latest results. When they responded that Michigan was too early to call because votes were still coming in, Giuilani responded: "Just say we won."
Same with Pennsylvania: "Just say we won," Giuliani said.
"Giuliani's grand plan was to just say Trump won, state after state, based on nothing. Stepien, Miller and Meadows thought his argument was both incoherent and irresponsible," according to the book.
Later, Trump was watching Fox News when the station called the critical state of Arizona for Joe Biden.
"What the f--- is Fox doing?" Trump screamed, before barking orders to his son-in-law, Jared Kushner.
"Call Rupert! Call James and Lachlan!" he said, referring to Fox owner Rupert Murdoch and his sons, James and Lachlan.
"Get Sammon. Get Hemmer. They've got to reverse this," Trump told senior adviser Jason Miller, referring to Bill Sammon, a top news executive at Fox.
"What the f---?" Trump said. "What the f--- are these guys doing? How could they call this this early?"
At that point, Giuliani reportedly encouraged him to "forget about Arizona and just say he won," by walking into the East Room of the White House and delivering a victory speech.
"Just go declare victory right now," Giuliani told Trump. "You've got to go declare victory now."
Which is exactly what Trump did.
- The 'Big Lie' has become a GOP litmus test in these 2 major ... ›
- These conservative Republicans may be doomed politically for ... ›
- Newly released e-mails reveal Trump effort to pressure ex-acting AG ... ›
- 'This is not right': New book finds Ivanka Trump pushed back when her father went too far - Alternet.org ›
- 'Don't kid yourself': Rep. Crenshaw gets heckled by a fellow Republican for saying the election wasn't rigged - Alternet.org ›
- 'There should be consequences': Legal expert says the lawyers behind Trump's 2020 lie must be shunned - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News has been setting up a new 'Big Lie' in case the GOP loses California's recall race - Alternet.org ›
- 'I'm not an alcoholic ... I'm a functioning': Rudy Giuliani denies he was drunk during rambling 9/11 speech - Alternet.org ›
- A GOP congressman’s retirement due to violent threats is 'a deeply ominous sign’ for US politics’: conservative - Alternet.org ›
- Rudy Giuliani lashes out at Fox News — calls his ban from network 'outrageous' - Alternet.org ›
- Bob Woodward’s new book paints a damning picture of Josh Hawley’s ‘big role in the Big Lie’: Missouri newspaper - Alternet.org ›
- MAGA Republicans push for more 2020 election audits: ‘Trump’s never going to admit that he lost’ - Alternet.org ›
- Trump has embraced the narrative of the defeated South: Lie — and double down on vicious bigotry - Alternet.org ›
- How the Big Lie threatens to crack up Trump's coalition - Alternet.org ›
- Trump conflates poll showing him winning in 2024 with proof of a '2020 win' - Alternet.org ›
- Top Georgia Republican 'going all in on the Big Lie' - Alternet.org ›
- MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough slams Republicans for dishonest Biden-Trump comparisons: 'They know they’re lying' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Nutters leading nutters': Legal experts aghast at the story of Giuliani stopping Trump's military election plot - Alternet.org ›
- This Michigan Republican and Giuliani 'star witness' promoted Trump’s voter fraud lies — now she’s running for office - Alternet.org ›
- These 'Big Lie'-promoting Texas Republicans aren’t 'catching fire' politically: report - Alternet.org ›
- Rudy Giuliani expected to cooperate with Jan. 6 House investigating committee: report ›