'Grotesque hypocrisy': Texas governor slammed for signing law that bans businesses from asking for 'vaccine info'
Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott is being highly criticized after promising to sign a law to ban businesses from asking for any "vaccine information," including banning "vaccine passports."
Abbott, who is running for re-election, facing a possible primary challenge from the state GOP chairman, is underwater in his favorability ratings: 45% unfavorable to 43% favorable.
On Monday, attacked by an editor at Glenn Beck's The Blaze for allowing Carnival Cruise Lines "to sail out of Galveston and push vaccine passports," Abbott replied less than two hours later: "I'm signing a law today that prohibits any business operating in Texas from requiring vaccine passports or any vaccine information."
"Texas is open 100% without any restrictions or limitations or requirements," he bragged.
Many pointed out that banning vaccine passports or even asking about inoculation status is a governmental restriction or requirement, and businesses have a right to protect their employees.
"Grotesque hypocrisy," is how former New Yorker writer James Surowiecki characterized Abbott's move.
Many, like this University of Houston professor, invoked comparisons to anti-gay bakeries.
We have a governor who hates disabled people. And who loves to have oppressive, dangerous Big Government regulation… https://t.co/To24QRwBIP— ᴀᴊᴩ / ᴅʀ. ᴩᴇɢᴏᴅᴀ (he/they) 🏳️🌈 (@ᴀᴊᴩ / ᴅʀ. ᴩᴇɢᴏᴅᴀ (he/they) 🏳️🌈) 1623084121.0
Here's what some others are saying:
No more immigration laws and kids no long have to be vaccinated for school! Plus, you have to bake all those gay we… https://t.co/w4zqsLIQoV— TxGrrrl (@TxGrrrl) 1623085109.0
So when I call out the hypocrisy here I want to be clear: turning customers away because they are gay is bad. Turni… https://t.co/DLuIkuE554— Don Zeko (@Don Zeko) 1623084906.0
Make them make cake. Ridiculous.n https://t.co/xbdBzGTbpt— Jennifer Bortnem-Risty 🧷 (@Jennifer Bortnem-Risty 🧷) 1623111549.0
That's wonderful. Now the Christians have to sell cakes to gay people. https://t.co/u50CGld4Bc— Leeanne C. (@Leeanne C.) 1623092476.0
I normally wouldn't retweet these idiots, but it's just incredible to see these so called anti-regulation Rs try to… https://t.co/Q3Wu9ySU7A— I am no man (@I am no man) 1623091041.0
You can refuse to serve a gay person but not an unvaccinated one! https://t.co/NLoec9BNdI— Lex (@Lex) 1623100222.0
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott faces criticism from local leaders and fellow ... ›
- Greg Abbott bizarrely suggests Democratic election reform allows ... ›
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott vows to defund state Legislature after voting ... ›
- Texas Gov. insists power grid problems are resolved. Experts say otherwise - Alternet.org ›
- #AbbottFailedTexas trends as state electric authority warns of power outages again — this time in heat wave - Alternet.org ›
- Gov. Greg Abbott says he'll solicit individuals for donations to fund his plan for a border wall - Alternet.org ›
- Nearly half of US states withdrew federal unemployment benefits early. It has not incentivized a return to work - Alternet.org ›