Right-wing Newsmax blasted after apologizing for broadcasting Trump's voter fraud lies
Newsmax was harshly criticized after the company settled a lawsuit and issued a public apology for their lies about election fraud.
"Newsmax would like to clarify its coverage of Dr. Coomer and note that while Newsmax initially covered claims by President Trump's lawyers, supporters and others that Dr. Coomer played a role in manipulating Dominion voting machines, Dominion voting software, and the final vote counts in the 2020 presidential election, Newsmax subsequently found no evidence that such allegations were true. Many of the states whose results were contested by the Trump campaign after the November 2020 election have conducted extensive recounts and audits, and each of these states certified the results as legal and final," Newsmax said in a statement.
"There are several facts that our viewers should be aware of. Newsmax has found no evidence that Dr. Coomer interfered with Dominion voting machines or voting software in any way, nor that Dr. Coomer ever claimed to have done so. Nor has Newsmax found any evidence that Dr. Coomer ever participated in any conversation with members of 'Antifa,' nor that he was directly involved with any partisan political organization," Newsmax explained.
"On behalf of Newsmax, we would like to apologize for any harm that our reporting of the allegations against Dr. Coomer may have caused to Dr. Coomer and his family," Newsmax said.
Here's some of what people were saying about the far-right cable network:
- Former prosecutor explains how Smartmatic 'can win' defamation ... ›
- 'Do you feel embarrassed?' Journalist Mehdi Hasan grills Newsmax ... ›
- 'It's cancel culture!' My Pillow guy interview goes off the rails when ... ›
- DC insider calls out Newsmax host live on-air for spreading Trump election lies - Alternet.org ›
- Ohio Supreme Court rules in favor of state election board amid Dominion voting machine controversy - Alternet.org ›
- This conservative Michigan Republican is calling out Trump's bogus voter fraud claims: 'Demonstrably false' - Alternet.org ›