'Outrageous and reprehensible': Mitch McConnell slams Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'frequent outbursts'
During her months in the U.S. House of Representatives, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia has sparked one controversy after another — and recently, Jewish groups have been lambasting the far-right Republican congresswoman for comparing pandemic-related mask mandates to the Holocaust. Some Republicans in Congress were no doubt hoping that the controversy would go away. But when a reporter, on Tuesday, asked Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to address the controversy, he described her comments as "outrageous" and "reprehensible."
.@LeaderMcConnell on Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA): "This is one of a frequent outbursts that are absolutely o… https://t.co/F1ifcUdjqL— CSPAN (@CSPAN) 1621968550.0
McConnell was asked if Republicans leaders should "do more" about Greene and "censure" her for her offensive comments. And the Senate minority leader responded, "Well, she doesn't serve in the Senate, but this is one of the frequent outbursts that are absolutely outrageous and reprehensible. But any punishment, I assume, would have to be administered by the House."
Marjorie is wrong, and her intentional decision to compare the horrors of the Holocaust with wearing masks is appal… https://t.co/99xV9y0J1v— Kevin McCarthy (@Kevin McCarthy) 1621951536.0
McCarthy, however, also used the statement as an opportunity to slam House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, claiming, "At a time when the Jewish people face increased violence and threats, anti-Semitism is on the rise in the Democrat Party and is completely ignored by Speaker Nancy Pelosi."
The House minority leader didn't go into specifics. But it should be noted that when Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota made some comments about Israel that Jewish groups considered anti-Semitic, Pelosi was quite forceful in demanding an immediate apology from the Democratic congresswoman. And Omar apologized, saying she didn't mean to promote negative stereotypes of Jews with her comments on Israel.
- 'What's going on?' Mitch McConnell refuses to explain to voters why ... ›
- Mitch McConnell gets caught off guard when Fox News grills him ... ›
- John Oliver slams Republicans with hilarious take-down of Mitch ... ›
- McConnell proves once again there's no 'good faith' among Senate Republicans - Alternet.org ›
- 'Despicable': McConnell begs GOP senators to vote against Jan. 6 commission as 'personal favor' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Spineless McWorm': New York Daily News delivers stinging rebuke of Mitch McConnell with mocking nickname - Alternet.org ›
- 'I was there': C-SPAN caller outs himself as Jan. 6 participant who wants to 'take our country back' - Alternet.org ›