Federal agents investigating Matt Gaetz obtained a search warrant and seized his phone: report
Federal agents investigating Florida Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz for possibly underaged sex trafficking and for a possible sexual relationship with an underaged girl were able to get a federal judge to sign off on a search warrant and execute that warrant, seizing his iPhone late last year.
"Gaetz's predicament as the subject of a serious investigation became clearer this winter when federal agents executed a search warrant and seized his iPhone, Politico reports, "according to interviews with three people who were told of the matter by Gaetz, who changed his phone number in late December."
"Around that time, the sources said, federal agents also seized his former girlfriend's phone before she went into work at a state agency in the morning. She declined comment."
It may not be unprecedented but it is extremely unusual for a sitting member of Congress to be served with a search warrant for a highly sensitive item like a cell phone.
Politico also details Gaetz's 2018 trip to the Bahamas, where he "was joined by two GOP allies: Halsey Beshears, then a state legislator, and Jason Pirozzolo, a hand surgeon and Republican fundraiser for DeSantis, according to three sources, including one who was part of the group."
"Also among those on the trip: the former minor who is key to the investigation, whose presence on the trip was previously unreported. According to one of the women in the group who spoke on condition of anonymity, everyone on the trip was over the age of 18 — including the woman in question, who had turned 18 years old months before the trip, she said."
"No one on the trip engaged in prostitution, the source said," Politico adds.
Gaetz has denied any wrongdoing and as previously reported has obtained two high-powered attorneys.
- Investigation into Matt Gaetz approved at 'highest levels' of DOJ and ... ›
- NYT report finds Matt Gaetz tried to get a 'blanket pardon' from ... ›
- Matt Gaetz gives a bizarre answer to allegations that he's being ... ›
- Matt Gaetz under mounting pressure as his former 'wingman' is ... ›
- Here are 7 new bombshell details from the complex and unraveling ... ›
- Two women recount wild drug and sex-fueled parties with Matt Gaetz - Alternet.org ›
- 'Everyone in the Capitol is nervous': Lawmaker says Florida Republicans fear they’ll be swept up in Matt Gaetz investigation - Alternet.org ›
- MSNBC's Tiffany Cross slams GOP as 'weird, creepy white guy party' of abusers, rapists and Matt Gaetz - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz wingman penned a letter claiming they both had sex with a minor: report - Alternet.org ›
- Gaetz's friends hit the jackpot with Florida's marijuana 'green rush.' Did he get gifts in exchange for their windfall? - Alternet.org ›
- Rep. Matt Gaetz mocks sex trafficking allegations — but Republican allies may be abandoning him - Alternet.org ›
- These newly released text messages could spell big trouble for Matt Gaetz - Alternet.org ›
- Gaetz gaslights: ‘I’m not focused on scandal I’m focused on socialism’ he says as his ex-girlfriend flips - Alternet.org ›
- How Matt Gaetz became an 'integral part' of Ron DeSantis' gubernatorial campaign: report - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz's legal woes could open the door for campaign finance violations - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz, Matt Schlapp and Dinesh D’Souza duped into posting tweets in honor of Lee Harvey Oswald - Alternet.org ›
- Jerry Nadler says McGahn ‘shed new light’ on Trump obstruction of justice - Alternet.org ›
- Newsmax sets the record straight about Gaetz being a potential network hire amid federal investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz's law school classmates want him to resign — and reveal details of his college years - Alternet.org ›
- Matt Gaetz torched after he ramps up attacks on Gen. Milley: 'Only war you fought is against age of consent' - Alternet.org ›
- Brian Williams roasts Matt Gaetz in hilarious comparison - Alternet.org ›
- Far-right trio leads GOP fear-mongering over Biden door-to-door vaccine info plan: ‘Confiscate guns next?’ - Alternet.org ›
- Gaetz hastily rushed out of press conference as reporter repeatedly asks: 'Are you a pedophile?' - Alternet.org ›