'Shut your mouth': Hearing goes totally off the rails after Jim Jordan rages against Dr. Fauci
Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio once again clashed with Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief White House medical adviser under President Joe Biden, during an April 15 hearing on the COVID-19 pandemic — and Rep. Maxine Waters was so annoyed by Jordan's behavior that she ended up telling him to "shut your mouth."
The 80-year-old Fauci has been emphasizing that although much progress has been made with COVID-19 vaccinations in the United States, there is still work to be done — and social distancing measures need to continue for now. Jordan, a far-right Republican and member of the House Freedom Caucus known for his histrionics, angrily demanded to know, "When do Americans get their freedom back?"
Fauci responded, "When we get the level of infection in this country low enough."
I know we toss around the phrase “worst member of congress” but..... https://t.co/Tw5hqJ6bdD— Molly Jong-Fast🏡 (@Molly Jong-Fast🏡)1618505106.0
Jordan, however, wasn't satisfied and doubled down on his line of questioning, demanding to known when Americans would get back their "lost liberties." And Fauci calmly explained, "My message, Congressman Jordan, is to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as we possibly can to get the level of infection in this country low (so) that it is no longer a threat…. You're looking at it as liberty and freedom. I look at it as a public health measure to prevent people from dying."
Jordan, continuing to rant and rave, told Fauci, "You think the Constitution is suspended during a virus, during a pandemic? It's certainly not…. When do Americans get their 1st Amendment liberties back."
Fauci, growing annoyed with his nonsense, told Jordan, "You're making this a personal thing, and it isn't…. We're talking about a pandemic that has killed 560,000 Americans."
When Rep. James Clyburn told Jordan that his time had expired, he kept ranting.
Rep. Maxine Waters of California, obviously fed up, told Jordan, "Your time expired, sir. You need to respect the chair and shut your mouth."
- Rep. Jim Jordan mocked for 'monumentally dumb' attempt to defend ... ›
- GOP's Jim Jordan busted for lying about Nancy Pelosi and Capitol ... ›
- John Boehner bashes fellow Ohioan Jim Jordan - Alternet.org ›
- 'Impeach and remove Maxine Waters': New York Post condemns Democrat as violent. What about the police? - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s what post-Census redistricting could mean for Ohio’s most 'bombastic' GOP congressman - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan attacks highly-respected DOJ attorney for being an 'outspoken and partisan critic of Republicans' - Alternet.org ›